Medical Assistant II-Bilingual Spanish and English speaking
Department Description: Beth Israel Deaconess HealthCare-Jamaica Plain provides personalized, comprehensive care for patients of all ages.
Job Location: Jamaica Plain, MA
Req ID: 31468BR
Job Summary: Reports to: Practice Manager or Ambulatory Practice Coordinator with input from assigned physician(s), nurses or other health care providers. Responsible for delivering the highest quality service to patients while contributing to the smooth functioning of practice operations.
Department Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Ensures translation services are provided in Spanish for Spanish speaking patients and employees when needed.
- The Medical Asst. II serves as a role model, providing support, training and sharing knowledge with other Medical Assistants, MA student externs and Practice Assistants in the practice. Makes recommendations on how resources can be used differently and more effectively.
- Identifies and resolves OSHA compliance issues, audits and maintains point of care testing and tracks test results. Participates in practice improvement initiatives. The MAII may participate in small projects under the direction of the Manager or Designee.
- Greets patients and serves as a communication resource. Asks appropriate questions and solves problems. Takes complete and accurate information from patients in person and by phone, prioritizing and communicating the information to providers appropriately. Responds quickly and courteously to phone calls and requests. Seeks assistance from supervisor and others appropriately.
- Greets patients and escorts to exam rooms. Ensures availability of x-rays, lab slips, medical records and other pertinent info. Obtains vitals, weight, blood pressure, pulse and temperature, performs EKGs, injections and/or phlebotomy, and assists providers. Performs departmental screening, lab tests and specimen collection. Implements quality control standards.
- Assists with procuring medical records. Ensures patient records and relevant documents filed in the record have appropriate patient identification. Adds new medications to patient record in EMR system. Assemble records according to BIDHC/APG policy and handle requests for patient information according to established guidelines.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Certificate 1 Medical Assistant Certificate required.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Bi-lingual proficiency in Spanish.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- 1-3 years of experience as a Medical Assistant in a primary care setting.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.