Department Description: Seeking Dance Instructor for Per Diem work. Strong preference for Hip Hop dance instructor experience. Current needs are around 3:30pm - 5:00pm time-frame. Great opportunity to join the Wellness Center team and work with youth in the Dorchester community.
The Wellness Center at Bowdoin Street Health Center was built to offer free or low-cost programs to improve health. We work with community residents and Bowdoin Street patients alike.
By combining health education, physical activity and support, the Wellness Center follows an approach that’s proven to help people get healthier and stay healthier. Over time, this approach can even lower the risk for obesity, diabetes and high blood pressure—chronic diseases that can be costly to treat. Our programs are offered on-site, in a safe and trusted setting.
Founded in Boston's Dorchester neighborhood in 1972 by community residents, Bowdoin Street Health Center remains focused on providing outstanding medical care while maintaining a tradition of working with residents to identify and meet their unique health needs. The mission of the health center is to provide excellent, compassionate care to our patients and support the health of the entire community.
This position is Grant Funded.
Job Location: Dorchester, MA
Req ID: 29592BR
Job Summary: The Wellness Instructor provides leadership while educating, monitoring, and encouraging class participants. Instructor will assist members with equipment set-up and implementing class procedures, creating a safe and fun group environment. The Wellness Instructor is team oriented, friendly, adaptable, and motivational. The Instructor is constantly monitoring each participant in the group to ensure safety.
- Plans and leads activity sessions and/or specialty training.
- Motivates and encourages all class participants.
- Advises participants on program and class procedures and policies as appropriate.
- Ensures that safety and injury prevention policies and procedures are adhered to by participants; reports accidents and prepares accident reports as needed.
- Ensures facility space and equipment are safe for participants to use and reports any issues immediately to
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Certificate 1 Heartsaver Certificate (CPR) preferred.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Certification/accreditation or at least two years of relevant teaching experience in field of expertise.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus