Department Description: Supporting OB/GYN services.
Bowdoin Street Health Center located in Dorchester, MA provides primary specialty services to a culturally and linguistically diverse population. Bowdoin Street is a NCQA recognized patient centered medical home and provides team based care which includes nursing care management for our highest risk patients. Populations include those with chronic, unstable disease conditions.
This is a full-time 40 hour position Mon-Fri with some evenings until 7pm and rotating Saturdays 9am-1pm.
Job Location: Dorchester, MA
Req ID: 33395BR
Job Summary: Performs a wide variety of medical assisting activities during patient visits in an outpatient clinical setting. Functions as a member of a healthcare team that collectively manages the ongoing care of a panel of patients under the direction of an assigned clinician. Involves extensive interaction with diverse populations including patients, medical staff practitioners and staff. At BIDMC, a Medical Assistant in a hospital-based practice is not authorized to perform duties that can be performed only by licensed personnel, which includes, but is not limited to, drawing up medications and/or medication administration or flushing an IV. Medical Assistants may retrieve medications (scheduled VI and over the counter only) under the supervision of a licensed provider.
- Performs a wide variety of activities during patient visits and/or procedures including vital signs, height and weight, EKGs, phlebotomy, suture removal and assisting during procedures. Executes interventions based upon standardized protocol and procedures.
- Performs appropriate screening, lab tests and specimen collection according to quality control standards. Provides instructions for tests and procedures. Provides education and support to patients regarding recommended preventative screenings. Performs interventions based on standardized protocol and procedures. Assumes role of health coach encouraging and reminding patients of importance.
- Schedules follow-up tests and appointments in hospital systems according to protocol. Tracks referrals, diagnostic testing and other interventions. Contacts patients with appointment reminders and other matters as required.
- Provides support and follow up of patients with diabetes adhering to lab and visit guidelines. Participates in group medical visits assisting with glucometer instructions, medication reconciliation and nutritional support under the supervision of a Certified Diabetes Educator.
- Takes complete, accurate information from patients, prioritizing and communicating to clinical staff appropriately. Enters orders and information relating to the patient visit in OMR as assigned. Maintains patient confidentiality at all times, by phone, in discussion or by electronic distribution of information.
- Collaborates with patients and their medical home teams in the identification of patient goals and action plans that support healthy lifestyles and improved health. Facilitate actions that support patient success in achieving goals.
- Orders and maintains supplies and equipment which may include monitoring code cart supplies. Cleans and disinfects medical equipment used for patient care between each patient use according to guidelines. Disinfects and sterilizes specialized equipment as required by the unit.
- Assists patients who have physical and psychological limitations with ambulation and patient care functions to ensure their comfort and dignity during the exam. May include transferring a patient from a wheelchair to exam table, undressing and dressing patients and ensuring patient is safe until provider arrives.
- Ensures that equipment and supplies necessary to carry out patient care activities are available and usable and the environment is clean, organized, and stocked appropriately. Tracks, orders and maintains supplies and equipment which may include monitoring code cart supplies. Ensures that supplies are within expiration dates. Cleans and disinfects medical equipment used for patient care between ea
- Escorts patients to ancillary service areas such as radiology and lab as needed. Performs other support activities as requested by managers or clinical providers in order to provide for patient needs in an optimal way.
Attends internal or external educational or training sessions as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Medical assisting experience required through any of the following areas: MA, CNA (or LNA), EMT, PCT certificate, Associates Degree in Medical Assisting. Current or former nursing or medical student who has completed at least one clinical rotation. Successful completion of BIDMC in-house competency program in 2019.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Experience and proficiency in working with both pediatric and adult populations.
- Bilingual in Cape Verdean Creole, Spanish or Vietnamese.
- Training/experience in phlebotomy.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
Your Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet.