Director - Clinical Operations
Department Description: Founded in Boston's Dorchester neighborhood in 1972 by community residents, Bowdoin Street Health Center remains focused on providing outstanding medical care while maintaining a tradition of working with residents to identify and meet their unique health needs. The mission of the health center is to provide excellent, compassionate care to our patients and support the health of the entire community.
Job Location: Dorchester, Massachusetts
Req ID: 46157BR
Job Summary: Leads operational initiatives in assigned areas and services in order to achieve set goals. Goals will target improvements in quality of care, access, overall customer satisfaction, communication, clinical services delivery, operating efficiency, budget management, program development and implementation and staff development. Assumes accountability for success of such initiatives through identified, measurable goals and pertinent data.
- Designated Leader for multidisciplinary programs and partners with other members of the management team within and outside of the department to initiate and oversee new multidisciplinary programs and projects.
- Hires, develops, supervises and evaluates staff which can include Nurse Practitioners, Clinical Advisors, RNs, Practice Administrators, Administrative and Clinical Support Staff, and Emergency Off Site Techs. Participates in the selection and evaluation of individuals for leadership positions.
- Assures that department activities and records meet the standards of accrediting, regulatory or reimbursement agencies.
- Establishes ongoing communication mechanisms with patients, staff, physicians, as well as the hospital and referring communities through regularly scheduled meetings and other forms of written communication.
- Has the responsibility to lead and support managers and directors in developing and improving operations to create optimal performance levels. Direct Reports: 4-6 Indirect Reports: 51-100
- Has full responsibility for planning, monitoring and managing budgets for multiple departments.
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing required. Master's degree in Nursing, Business Administration, Healthcare Finance or Hospital Administration preferred.
- License Registered Nurse required.
- 3-5 years related work experience required and 3-5 years supervisory/management experience required
- Demonstrates proficiency in the area of process improvement and system redesign. Specific experience in data and systems analysis, quality management/performance improvement.
- Excellent skills in interpersonal and written communication.
- Demonstrates proficiency in budget and human resource management.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions with significant, broad implications for the management and operations of a major department or multiple departments. Participates in decisions on overall strategy and direction of the organization.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are broad, complex and abstract, often involving Medical Center-wide issues and requiring substantial creativity, resourcefulness, staff engagement, Lean diagnostic techniques, negotiation and diplomacy to develop solutions.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set direction and vision for major departments or multiple departments. Establishes priorities, develops policies and allocates resources.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate complex information in English effectively in writing to all levels of staff, management and external customers across functional areas.
- Oral Communications: Ability to verbally communicate complex concepts in English and address sensitive situations, resolve conflicts, negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate broad and comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex and/or unprecedented situations across multiple functional areas.
- Team Work: Ability to lead collaborative teams for larger projects or groups both internal and external to the Medical Center and across functional areas. Results have implications for the management and operations of multiple areas of the organization.
- Customer Service: Ability to lead operational initiatives to meet or exceed customer service standards and expectations in assigned unit(s) and/or across multiple areas in a timely and respectful manner.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.