Department Description: Seeking Resident Block Captain/Community Assistant for coverage on weekends and evening hours, averaging about 15 hours per week.
Founded in Boston's Dorchester neighborhood in 1972 by community residents, Bowdoin Street Health Center remains focused on providing outstanding medical care while maintaining a tradition of working with residents to identify and meet their unique health needs. The mission of the health center is to provide excellent, compassionate care to our patients and support the health of the entire community.
**This is a Grant Funded position.**
Job Location: Dorchester, MA
Req ID: 37878BR
Job Summary: The Resident Block Captains will be assigned an area in their neighborhood for which they will build relationships with residents living on those streets and ensure residents are fully aware of community resources and the Violence Intervention and Prevention (VIP) Coalition activities.
- Assist Neighborhood Coordinator to actively recruit and engage residents to lead and participate in coalition meetings and activities.
- Attend all VIP Coalition meetings and activities. Bring at least 2 new residents to each monthly coalition meeting.
- Assist VIP Neighborhood Coordinator to recruit and disseminate information on VIP and other related events.
- Get to know every resident that resides on the designated area, including adults, youth, infants, preschool, high school age children. Maintain monthly contact with every household on the designated area.
- Actively participate in developing or updating a violence prevention plan (VPP) with strong input from residents.
- High School diploma or GED required .
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Must be a resident of the VIP target area
- Availability to dedicate a minimum of 7 hours a week on VIP initiative
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Knowledge and access to formal and informal resources in the community on a variety of services such as youth employment, resources for pregnant women, social services, etc.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to understand spoken English in order to follow basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively in basic English with patients, families and medical center staff in response to routine questions.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement
Your Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet.