Medical Lab Tech - 40 Hours - Day/Evening - Sign On Bonus
Department Description: At Beth Israel Deaconess HealthCare-Chestnut Hill, certified phlebotomists draw blood and collect specimens. We process some blood tests and specimens on site, and send others to our clinical laboratory at BIDMC in Boston.
Rotating Weekends Required ~1 Per Month
Ability to Flex between Days, Evenings
Cover Vacations and Sick Calls.
SIGN ON BONUS:
As part of an unprecedented organizational initiative, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is now offering up to $7,000 in sign on bonuses for Medical Lab Tech positions ONLY at the Chestnut Hill location.
Bonuses are paid out within the first 30 days of employment and are subject to applicable taxes. Full time status at BIDMC is considered for schedules greater than or equal to 30 hours per week; part time status is 20 to 29 hours per week Please note, per diem employees are not eligible for sign on bonuses. (Current BILH candidates- restrictions apply)
Job Location: Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts
Req ID: 41321BR
Job Summary: Performs laboratory tests, confirms accuracy results and reports findings to the the Pathologists and other Clinicians.
- Performs start-up, maintenance, and troubleshoots procedures on instruments and laboratory equipment per
established laboratory protocols. Performs and evaluates QC and calibration, and data entry and assessment.
- Prepares specimens for examination. Performs complex chemical, biological, hematological, immunological,
microscopic, and bacteriological tests. Uses automated equipment and instruments capable of performing tests
simultaneously. Analyzes samples for content or other properties.
- Tests for electrolytes, enzymes and drug levels in the blood. Examines blood and other fluids for normal and abnormal cells, counts cells using a microscope. Makes cultures of body fluids and tissue samples to determine the presence of bacteria, fungi, parasites, and other organisms. Types and crossmatches blood samples for transfusions and prepares products for transfusion.
- Evaluates test results, enters results into the LIS and reports results to clinicians. Ensures accuracy of test
results. May perform venipunctures, including blood culture collection, and fingersticks ensuring proper ID/labeling of specimens and using vein preservation techniques.
- Keeps current with developments in laboratory medicine by mandatory and voluntary continuing education,
competency testing and Quality Assurance. Runs and results for mandated CAP Proficiency Testing Samples.
- Associate's degree in Medical Laboratory or Life Sciences required.
- License ASCP Registered preferred.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Clinical laboratory experience
- Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) Certification
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement
Your Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet.