Practice Customer Service Rep - Bilingual Spanish and English
Department Description: In the midst of a thriving Chelsea neighborhood, Beth Israel Deaconess HealthCare-Chelsea brings world-class health care to patients north of Boston. Our patients have the best of all worlds: dedicated staff, the atmosphere of a private practice, and access to the expertise, resources, and systems from BIDMC.
Job Location: Chelsea, MA
Req ID: 39565BR
Job Summary: Serves as a primary point of contact for patients in a medical practice and provides excellent customer service through clear communication. Reports to the Practice Manager with input from assigned physicians, nurses and other health care providers.
Department Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Ensures translation services are provided in Spanish for Spanish speaking patients and employees when needed.
- Answers and processes telephone calls in a polite and courteous manner when dealing with all incoming calls to the Phone Room. Provides accurate information, directions and/or guidance and follows up promptly to ensure that needs have been met.
- Takes complete and accurate information from patients/callers, prioritizing and facilitating communication of information to providers. Prepares schedules and other documents as needed in accordance with quality standards. Maintains patient confidentiality at all times, whether by phone, discussion with providers or distribution of patient information by Email, fax, etc.
- Schedules, reschedules and confirms patient appointments via telephone.
- Schedules related diagnostic and/or lab tests making every reasonable effort to accommodate patient and provider needs. Inputs patient insurance and managed care plans, including prior authorizations, referrals, and pre-certifications. Explains processes as needed to help patients meet their needs and insurance requirements.
- Performs occasional check in, registration, and verification of demographic and fiscal information utilizing a computer system. Collects copayments following standards for managing copayment processing. Directs patients as needed to next service area upon check in. Acts as liaison between patient and practice staff to ensure optimal flow and service delivery.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Certificate 1 Medical Admin Assistant Cert preferred.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Bilingual fluency in Spanish and English.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- One year experience in a healthcare or service/hospitality environment.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to understand spoken English in order to follow basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively in basic English with patients, families and medical center staff in response to routine questions.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement
Your Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet.