Manager, Epic Applications - Billing SBO
Department Description: This role is in the Beth Israel Lahey Health IT Service Line, EHR-Epic and reports to the Director, EHR-Epic Revenue Cycle & Patient Access Applications.
Information Technology (IT) has undertaken a multi-year effort to harmonize IT systems across Beth Israel Lahey Health. IT staff members may have the opportunity to participate in special projects that span Beth Israel Lahey Health as part of this harmonization effort. This position may be assigned to work on special projects, and other job duties, as needed.
Job Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts
Req ID: 44840BR
Job Summary: The Manager, EHR Applications, is a member of the BILH IT Service Line Leadership team responsible for development, implementation and maintenance of assigned patient care/clinical applications and/or administrative applications. The Manager provides direct supervision to staff promoting collaboration, ensuring customer satisfaction, and resulting in strong team cohesion and positive morale. Works with BILH leaders to prioritize needs and provide value. Oversees EHR service management assuring SLAs for incidents are met and project timelines and deliverables are achieved. Possesses a strong understanding of the EHR systems and healthcare landscape. Manages with financial responsibility and adherence to the BILH IT mission and vision.
Department Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Manager, Epic Rev Cycle Applications leads the team responsible for the maintenance of the advanced Epic modules SBO Hospital Billing and Claims & Professional Billing and Claims within the BILH system
- Manages teams of Epic Analysts and/or other ITS professionals by assisting staff with prioritizing tasks and projects
- Oversees build and implementation of new content, designs, upgrades, functions, features, products etc. with affected areas and users in advance of production deployment
- Assures clinical/business systems interoperate to enable high quality, clinical care
- Participates in Admin On-call rotation as required by Director
- Manages execution of work set by IT Senior Leadership to support the mission and vision of overall health IT application management to foster a business-oriented culture and mindset driven by continual service improvement techniques.
- Manages implementation of EHR applications and solutions. Contributes to strategic direction and oversight for design, development, operation and support of EHR systems that fulfill business needs.
- Champions relationships between IT and BILH leadership through clear communication and alignment of EHR goals to advance safe, quality driven clinical care.
- Contributes to the success of BILH IT by assuring excellent customer service and adherence to SLAs. Assures a culture of continuous improvement and maintains connections with leadership.
- Responsible for resource allocation within direct org chart. Partners with Directors & EHR leaders to understand impact prioritization, level of effort related to projects and objectives and current workload of direct reports.
- Directly supports EHR application projects, daily operations and break fix issues.
- Monitors dept. functions ensuring services are compliant with professional standards and state/federal regulations.
- Works with EHR Directors to provide education/training to the staff for EHR systems. Manages contract staff when necessary.
- Serves on hospital planning & policymaking committees; assures EHR function matches BILH policies.
- Additional leadership functions/roles may be assigned: Project Roles; Key contact/liaison for IT vendors, Hospital or BILH Departments.
- Has the authority to direct and support employees daily work activities. Has the direct responsibility to undertake the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: More than 7 Indirect Reports: None
- High School diploma or GED required. Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business, Healthcare or related field. preferred.
- 5-8 years related work experience required in proven experience (demonstrating career progression) working in an IT Dept. or software vendor organization within the healthcare industry. 2+ years of leadership and staff management experience and 1-3 years supervisory/management experience required
- Exp successfully managing a team of IT staff both in person and remotely.
- Exp leading application teams in a multi-hospital health system.
- Exp managing small to medium complex software configuration projects.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Epic software exp/certifications with Epic modules: SBO Hospital Billing and Claims or Professional Billing and Claims
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and priorities for functional area. May make recommendations for department policies, practices and programs. Manager or Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to verbally communicate complex concepts in English and address sensitive situations, resolve conflicts, negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to lead collaborative teams for larger projects or groups both internal and external to the Medical Center and across functional areas. Results have implications for the management and operations of multiple areas of the organization.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.