Vascular Ultrasound Tech II
Department Description: Our division's accredited Vascular Laboratory provides patients with a full range of non-invasive diagnostic services for all vascular conditions.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 36094BR
Job Summary: Under the general direction of the Vascular Lab Clinical Manager, performs a wide variety of ultrasound procedures. Assumes responsibility for efficiency and quality of work of designated areas or procedures as required.
- Reviews charts, selects appropriate equipment and transducer setting for tests ordered.
- Interviews patients, obtains necessary information, explains procedures, allays apprehensions and positions patient appropriately.
- Views screen, detects pathology/other factors (p/u, change of shape, etc.). Determines images appropriate for diagnostic purposes.
- Keeps current with new techniques, equipment, through journals and outside educational activities.
Recognizes unusual conditions in operating equipment and makes arrangements for repair. .
- May be involved in the submission of changes (and other relevant information) to billing vendor to assure timely submission of claims to maximize third-party reimbursement.
- Vocational or Technical training in an accredited 2 yr post high school ed - allied health science, didactic/clin required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Certificate 1 Registered Vascular Tech required.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Must have analytical knowledge necessary to effectively detect pathologies through understanding of physiological cause and effect of diseases.
- Work requires level of knowledge of anatomy and physiology generally acquired through two years post-high school education in an allied health science, such as nursing or radiologic technology.
- Work requires knowledge of ultrasound techniques and procedures, and familiarity with equipment, generally acquired through formal ultrasound training program, usually lasting 12 months didactic and 12 months clinical.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Previous experience with vascular surgery patient population preferred.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.