Vasc Ultrasound Tech-Sr
Department Description: Our Vascular Lab is accredited through the IAC and follows the IAC guidelines and protocols. The vascular technologists perform peripheral vascular exams. The lab supports patients primarily from General Medicine, Transplant, Vascular Surgery and Cardiology. The vascular technologists perform various exams including cerebrovascular, peripheral arterial and venous exams. Venous exams include reflux studies, mapping for pre-op surgery, venous AFV and evaluation for DVT. Arterial exams include arterial physiologic exams with or without exercise, arterial Doppler to evaluate stents etc. Cerebrovascular include carotid and temporal artery exams. This list is not inclusive of all exams.
The Vascular Lab shares resources with the Ultrasound Section.
The senior technologist oversees the daily schedule and ensures that exam protocols are fulfilled and that high quality work is performed. Our IAC accreditation would also be a responsibility to oversee of the senior vascular technologist. The candidate works with our physician co-directors in keeping up to date on current advances in technology.
The senior technologist reports to the Ultrasound Technical Director.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 40701BR
Job Summary: Trains and supervises technical staff/sonographers, implements laboratory operations, quality improvement, exam schedule and staffing coordination. Maintains a high standard of medical ethics at all times and is self-motivated to increase level of understanding and knowledge of the field of vascular disease and new procedures, as they evolve.Performs all required ultrasound and clinical evaluations at a technical level not requiring direct supervision.
- Supervises technologists/sonographers and students performing the full range of diagnostic tests.
- Oversees patient scheduling procedures pertaining to the vascular laboratory and ensures exam schedule and staffing levels are coordinated as well as the daily operations of the vascular laboratory.
- Administers the maintenance of the daily patient log and monthly statistics.
- Supervises ICD.9 coding and billing process for laboratory bills.
- Participates in teaching activities for medical students, residents, fellows, and other allied health professionals.
- Has the authority to direct and support employees daily work activities. Has authority to undertake or recommend the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: None Indirect Reports: 1-5
- Vocational or Technical training in Vascular Technology or Biological Sciences required. Bachelor's degree in Vascular Technology or Biological Sciences preferred.
- License Reg Diagnostic Med Sonographer required., and Certificate 1 Basic Life Support required.
- 5-8 years related work experience required and 3-5 years supervisory/management experience required
- New hires will have 30 days to provide BLS certification. Certification has to be with the American Heart Association (AHA).
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Minimum 3 year supervisory experience preferred
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and priorities for functional area. May make recommendations for department policies, practices and programs. Manager or Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate complex information in English effectively in writing to all levels of staff, management and external customers across functional areas.
- Oral Communications: Ability to verbally communicate complex concepts in English and address sensitive situations, resolve conflicts, negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Heavy work: Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 50 pounds of force frequently. Work is physically demanding and requires extended periods of standing and/or moving.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement