Tax Consultant, Sr.
Department Description: This role is providing support on the Beth Israel Lahey Health Taxation department.
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 45519BR
Job Summary: Reporting to the Assistant Vice President, Taxation, and working closely with the Tax Manager, participate in, and support the work of, the tax function for BILH and its affiliates, including highly visible, time sensitive, tax compliance and other tax matters, issues and projects for BILH and each affiliate within the BILH network.
- Support of system-wide preparation, review and filing of: Form 990, Form 990-T, Massachusetts Form PC, Massachusetts Form M-990T and other foreign, state and local reporting and required estimates and extensions;
Form 1120, Massachusetts Form and other foreign, state and local reporting and required estimates and extensions.
- Support of system-wide preparation, review and filing of: Forms 5500 and Forms 990-T and other foreign, state and local reporting and required estimates and extensions. FATCA and CRS disclosures and filings, IRS Certificates of Tax Residency, and other reporting matters.
- Support of system-wide preparation, review and filing of: Foreign national tax reporting (such as employees and/or trainees for proper tax income and/or FICA tax withholding/exemptions and preparation of Forms 8233 as needed). Forms 3ABC and/or other property tax filings
- Provide support related to a wide variety of tax matters that arise both system-wide and at the parent and affiliate levels throughout the year. Areas include, but are not limited to: Unrelated Business Income, Tax Exempt Bonds ,Tax reporting related to non-standard compensatory and benefit items.
- More tax areas include: Tax issues, reporting, withholding related to activities outside the US, foreign nationals/research fellows and honoraria recipients, IRC Section 501(r), Governmental inquiries and audits
- This work will also include staying abreast of relevant tax legislation, including the researching tax law and regulations, as well as documenting developments and communicating impact.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Related required.
- CPA, MST and/or JD is a plus
- 3-5 years related work experience required in public accounting experience with a focus on non-profit tax (including tax return preparation, consulting and research experience) or internal tax experience in the non-profit sector, is required.
- Knowledge of non-profit and public charity tax law and regulations and a deep understanding of how these technical tax matters and issues impact the operational aspects of tax exempt hospitals and healthcare entities
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous pressing assignments
- Knowledge of Form 990 and related reporting issues is required. Knowledge of non-profit tax issues is required.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Knowledge of non-profit healthcare preferred.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and determines how to accomplish defined results with some guidelines. Manager/Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.