Systems Engineer II
Department Description: This position is located at 1135 Tremont Street, Boston, MA 02120
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 29599BR
Job Summary: Installs, configures, and supports physical and virtual Data Center servers and services, prepares basic documentation, and maintains and supports an enterprise level server based computing environment.
Department Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Possesses and demonstrates the skills required to build, configure, deploy, support, and maintain HP/IBM Intel based Servers running all versions of Red Hat Linux Server Operating Systems on physical and virtual platforms.
- Performs System Administrator activities to support multiple Linux Server production systems in an enterprise environment.
- Maintains skills and ability to perform System Management activities related to other technologies that are associated with or dependent on the Red Hat Linux Server environment.
- Maintain and support virtual server / hypervisor based platform infrastructure services
- Manages configuration, patch, and backup management of production Linux Servers.
- Participates in ongoing monitoring and evaluation of server performance. Provides 7x24x365 on-call response.
- Creates and maintains technical support documentation and procedures related to new technology installations and implementations.
- As requested by Level III Engineers participates in technology projects and acts as a front-line interface to end-users or as liaison to technology vendors.
- Performs basic problem management and root cause analysis in identifying, prioritizing, researching and resolving service requests or reported problems in a timely manner and appropriately escalates to other engineers as necessary and within established guidelines.
- Provides technical troubleshooting advice and serves as a resource to other IS Support Staff members.
- Vocational or Technical training required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- Advanced technical computer skills as required for technical support specific to functional area and related systems.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
Your Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet.