Surgical Technician I
Department Description: We are seeking a Surgical Technician I to work full time (40hrs per week; day shift) to support the Dermatology Department.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 30601BR
Job Summary: The Surgical Technician I is an individual who is certified, and educated to perform surgical technology services that contribute to safe, quality and fiscally responsible care of patients. Is a novice who practices with maximal guidance and direction. Is preceptor dependent and consistently needs assistance. Emerges from orientation practicing at the advanced beginner level and is able to practice with guidance and direction often needing assistance.
- Collaborates with the circulating nurse prior to a surgical procedure to carry out the plan of care by preparing the operating room, gathering and preparing supplies, instruments and equipment, preparing and maintaining the sterile field using sterile and aseptic technique and ensuring that surgical equipment is functioning properly and safely.
- During the intraoperative phase of patient care anticipates and responds to the needs of a surgeon and other team members by monitoring the sterile field and providing the required instruments and supplies.
- Perform tasks at the sterile field as directed in an operating room setting, including; passing supplies, equipment or instruments, sponging or suctioning an operative site, preparing and cutting suture material, transferring and irrigating with fluids, transferring but not administering, drugs, handling specimens, and assisting in counting supplies and instruments with the circulating nurse.
- Recognizes, intervenes, and reports situations which impede patient safety. Safeguards the privacy of patients. Maintains confidentiality relating to patients. Aware of patient's rights and legal, moral, and ethical implications of actions.
- Facilitates efficient turnover time by prioritizing activities related to equipment and instrumentation needed for cases to follow in assigned room. Recognizes and reports problems related to kits, equipment or supplies.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Certificate 1 Cert Surg Tech (CST) required., and Certificate 2 Basic Life Support required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Graduate of an accredited education program for surgical technologists or has completed a training program for surgical technologists in the United States Military or Public Health Service.
- Holds and maintains a certified surgical technologist credential administered by a nationally recognized surgical technologist credentialing body accredited by the National commission of Certifying Agencies and recognized by the American College of Surgeons and the Association of Surgical Technologists.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.