Supervisor - Central Processing
Department Description: The Central Processing Department supports 40 operating rooms on two campuses, three CPD locations, and in the Medical Center by supporting over 80 internal and external clinics, the procedural departments, and Labor and Delivery.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 31004BR
Job Summary: The Supervisor is a management role within the Central Processing Department (CPD). CPD technicians report to the Supervisor, who determines the work activities within the department. The supervisor needs to be able to work independently and enforse hospital policies.
- Oversees department practices to be in compliance with professional standards,licensing and accreditation requirements.
- Develops and maintains all policies and programs related to recycling, production, sterilization and disposition of critical medical/surgical equipment, instrumentation and supplies.
- Serves as a hospital-wide consultant and resource on infection and quality control issues related to support services, materials handling and decontamination/sterilization principles.
- Meets with vendor representatives to plan educational meetings for the staff.
- Has the authority to direct and support employees daily work activities. Has the direct responsibility to undertake the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: More than 7 Indirect Reports: None
- Assists in planning, monitoring and/or managing budget in functional area of department.
- High School diploma or GED required. Vocational or Technical training in CBSPDor CRCST preferred.
- 3-5 years related work experience required in CPD and 1-3 years supervisory/management experience required
- Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST).
- Knowledge of hospital, infection control and medical terminology.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Previous supervisory experience.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and priorities for functional area. May make recommendations for department policies, practices and programs. Manager or Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate complex information in English effectively in writing to all levels of staff, management and external customers across functional areas.
- Oral Communications: Ability to verbally communicate complex concepts in English and address sensitive situations, resolve conflicts, negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Very Heavy work: Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 50 pounds of force continually. Employee is physically active in all elements of the job.