Strategic Planning & Business Development Manager
Department Description: The Strategic Planning and Business Development Manager reports to and assists the Leadership team in developing Beth Israel Lahey Health (BILH) as a high-value, integrated health system fully compliant with established governmental regulations and private payor standards.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 30805BR
Job Summary: The nature of the work in Strategic Planning and Business Development is market focused and project-oriented in support of BILH, including academic medical center, teaching and community hospitals; quaternary, tertiary and community acute care; home care, palliative and hospice; behavioral health; and, physician development. Responsibilities fall into three broad categories: opportunities identification and assessment, business plan development, and program development. This is a consultative role and will be responsible for leading projects and supporting, BILH system-wide service line leadership, hospital Presidents, CMOs, and others, as required. As both an individual contributor and a leader, this individual plays a dynamic role with access to multiple disciplines, levels of leadership, and varied subjects.
- Identifies new business opportunities, models and relationships for BILH and/or HMFP.
- Conducts analyses and evaluations of strategic, financial, and operational issues related to the Business Planning process.
- Evaluates overall fit of business development efforts within the context of BILH strategic direction.
- Coordinates efforts in areas to assess and finalize business development efforts, such as financial/accounting, due diligence, legal, reimbursement, regulatory and compliance, information technology and other areas, as needed.
- As requested by team leadership and/or hospital senior leadership, participates in the organization, management, and implementation of clinical and administrative projects that require broad institutional support and input from multiple stakeholders.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Public Health or equivalent such as finance, healthcare management and required. Master's degree preferred.
- 5-8 years related work experience required.
- A minimum of 5 years of project-oriented positions involving health system development and integration. Managing complex, multi-stakeholder analytics, consensus-building, and decision making. Demonstrated ability to connect concepts to outcomes; results driven.
- Demonstrated ability to build and effectively manage a wide-range of internal and external relationships and to achieve results leading others toward common objectives. Ability to work successfully with executives and managers of industry and healthcare organizations and providers. Ability to work successfully with physicians and healthcare professionals.
- Understands the regulatory, quality and financial components of the healthcare industry. Possesses knowledge of the local and regional market place, current trends and an understanding of current marketplace dynamics. Deep knowledge of strategic planning processes and business development formulation. Ability to think ahead and plan over a 5-year span
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally