Sr. Desktop Support Technician
Department Description: Position is located at 1135 Tremont St.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 39466BR
Job Summary: Ensures that all BIDMC-owned computers, printers and peripherals are operational and functioning at or near manufacturer's original specifications. Proactively involved in maintaining equipment, identifying potential problems, and researching and following up on moderately difficult to complex desktop-related problems.
- Demonstrates moderate to advanced knowledge and proficiency in all aspects of desktop hardware (computer, printers, and other peripherals) to the component level; demonstrates strong knowledge Windows OS and Mac OSX as well as an understanding of networking principles required to successfully assess, diagnose, and respond to desktop-related problems in the field.
- Demonstrates excellent communications skills required in gathering factual and accurate information from customers, peers, and other staff in order to promptly and correctly identify root cause and to support effective problem management processes. Deficits in skills or errors in troubleshooting may negatively impact productivity and access of clinical staff, patients or other BIDMC staff.
- Responds immediately, appropriately and in accordance with established policies, guidelines, and associated expectations in responding to requests and alerts generated by or through the IS Department.
- Demonstrates technical skill, logic and ability in troubleshooting hardware, software, network or other desktop computer-related problems while maintaining effective and appropriate communications with customer, peers, staff or vendors.
- Demonstrates the technical skills, knowledge and understanding of desktop software and applications from operating systems (Microsoft OS; Mac OSX) to mainstream commercial production applications (including but not limited to Microsoft Office products).
- High School diploma or GED required. Vocational or Technical training preferred.
- Certificate 1 preferred: A+ Certification
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- Technical skills, knowledge and understanding of personal computers, current operating systems (Windows and Mac), hardware and peripherals, and productivity applications (MS Word, Excel, Access, Outlook and Internet Explorer); solid knowledge of networking principles related to workstation and printer configuration.
- Technical skills, ability and proficiency in assessing and troubleshooting desktop related hardware and printer problems; good customer service skills and ability to maintain composure and professionalism during difficult customer encounters or crisis situations
- Ability to convey technical information in an easily understood manner and the ability to solicit and gather basic and factual information from customers/others.
- Advanced technical computer skills as required for technical support specific to functional area and related systems.
- Good organizational skills with ability to prioritize work and function in a fast-paced environment in an enthusiastic and motivated manner within a team environment.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement