Space Planning Associate
Department Description: Facilities Planning, Design, and Construction is responsible for managing the implementation of a wide range of capital projects to maintain and upgrade the Medical Center's 3 million square foot downtown campus and six satellite facilities.
The 40+ person group is responsible for managing the capital program of design and construction projects valued at $50-$100 million per year as well as special projects valued up to $700 million.
Key responsibilities of the group include:
• Capital Planning, Budgeting, and Forecasting
• Planning and implementation of facilities additions and renovations to meet changing operational needs
• Monitoring, maintaining & upgrading building systems and infrastructure
• Evaluating space planning alternatives including migration of non-clinical departments off campus
• Managing facility-related regulatory compliance
• Managing utility supply and energy conservation program
• Ensuring documentation of Operation and Maintenance Manuals and As-Built Drawings
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 41439BR
Job Summary: The Space Planning Associate provides support with planning, design and construction projects. They must think creatively about spatial organization while maximizing utilization and efficiencies for medical center departments and staff. Responsibilities center around drawing documentation, control, and maintenance.
- Assist project managers on planning and construction projects by contributing test fit evaluations, finish and furnish recommendations, as-built review and documentation, kick-off and pre-construction meeting attendance, and more.
- Maintain space and occupancy data in the Archibus space database and provide support regarding its use and function to Facilities and other BIDMC staff who have access.
- Provide project coordination support on behalf of the Medical Center to contracted architects, engineers and construction managers to ensure that a project is designed and built consistent with project scope, budget and schedule.
- Review project-related as-built documentation and other deliverables to ensure compliance with Medical Center standards.
- Manage electronic as-built documentation during the project closeout phase and update the Medical Center's electronic drawing archive.
- Bachelor's degree in progress and completed prior to start date required.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Advanced technical computer skills as required for technical support specific to functional area and related systems.
- Project management skills preferred.
- AutoCAD proficiency required.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement