Social Worker - Senior
Department Description: 32 hour position within med/surg social work supporting hem/onc inpt service and providing consultation for palliative care team. Will provide outpt palliative care social work within interdisciplinary team.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 29839BR
Job Summary: Practices clinical social work at an advanced level independent of regular clinical supervision and is responsible for psychosocial screening, assessment, diagnosis, treatment, and follow-up for patients and families in assigned care area. Collaborates with physicians, nurses, internal and external case managers, community agencies, and other health care professionals to implement coordinated patient care. Reports to the social work manager/manager of clinical service area.
- Screens and triages patients who request service, are referred, or meet screening criteria. Conducts psychosocial assessments and provides indicated services. Provides counseling, psychotherapy and group services. Meets productivity standards set by clinical service area.
- Identifies practice and systems issues;. may develop new modes of approaching systems and/or clinical problems. May initiate or participate in research. Participates in Departmental and interdisciplinary LEAN/ CQI activities.
- Seeks opportunities and sets goals for own professional development. Regularly leads segments of the team's work. Acts as a team leader for small projects or work groups.
- Collaborates and consults with patients, families, professionals, and providers in- and outside the hospital to develop and implement care across the continuum. Refers to and collaborates with interdepartmental specialists and programs, outside agencies, facilities, payers, and other relevant community resources.
- Assists with discharge planning and/or outpatient continuity of care. Provides consultation to the team around patient management, risk management and ethical issues. Documents assessments and care plans in medical record. Participates in Department's After Hours Program.
- Master's degree in Social Work required.
- License Lic Indep Clinical Social Work required.
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- Current MA license or license from a state with reciprocity. If licensed in another state, expected to obtain MA license within 3-6 months.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and determines how to accomplish defined results with some guidelines. Manager/Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus