Retail Pharmacy Technician
Department Description: Our full-service retail pharmacy located on-campus in our Shaprio Lobby offers many services to make managing our patients health easier such as:
Comprehensive Medication Review, where our pharmacists will discuss which prescriptions may be safely substituted or eliminated and look for potentially harmful drug interactions
Blister Packaging, which groups patients medications by day to help them remember when and how to take them
Co-pay assistance or discount pricing programs
Text alerts when prescriptions are ready
Automatic refills, we send a text when prescriptions are ready
Disease Management Service, where we’ll compare medical conditions to prescriptions, making recommendations about changes that may improve their health
Acceptance of most major insurance plans
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 32261BR
Job Summary: The Retail Pharmacy Technician is responsible for providing technical support under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist in the outpatient/retail pharmacy. Technician's duties include preparing take home medications, compounding, inventory management, utilizing various equipment and technology available in the pharmacy, performing drop-off and pick-up window duties, and performing various quality control tasks as assigned. In addition, the retail technician will participate in training and orientation of new technicians and pharmacy students and bedside delivery to patients.
- Renews routine/maintenance medication requests (telephonic, fax, Patient site, E- prescription queue) for patients. Manages the administrative responsibilities for faxing, filing, mailing, and documenting status in medical record of non-electronically routable prescriptions.
- Responds efficiently to formulary and medication assistance program inquiries and prioritizes efforts to address needs effectively and safely.
- Assists with the BIDMC transition of care program.
- Assists with medication reconciliations.
- Investigates and resolves prescription issues and communicates directly with patients providing clarification on directions for prescriptions.
- High School diploma or GED required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- License Mass Registered Pharmacy Tech preferred., or Registration Pharmacy Technician Trainee required., or Certificate 1 Certfied Pharmacy Technician preferred.
- 1-3 years related work experience required in Healthcare or Retail Pharmacy.
- Knowledge of prior-authorization workflows, payer relations, prescription claims adjudication, and general reimbursement procedures.
- Ability to develop strong relationships with diverse groups of professionals (physicians, nurses, administration, etc.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Experience with prior authorizations.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus