Respiratory Therapist II
Department Description: This is a level 2/3 nursery.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 26691BR
Job Summary: Assumes primary responsibility for patient care including: examination, evaluation, treatment planning, and administration of Respiratory Care procedures in response to a physician's order.
- Assesses patient condition based on medical history, observation, examination, physician's diagnosis, laboratory findings and the results of specific tests or respiratory function and other appropriate diagnostic procedures. Develops or modifies the respiratory care plan and makes specific recommendations to physicians regarding indicated therapy.
- Administers appropriate diagnostic tests and procedures to evaluate responses to therapy, including: arterial blood gas sampling and interpretation of the results; oxygen saturation by direct measurement and pulse oximetry; end-tidal carbon dioxide measurement; pulmonary mechanics; spirometry; metabolic testing; and may assist the physician with special procedures such as bronchoscopy.
- Develops a specific patient care plan according to the patient's clinical presentation at the time of the reassessment. Responds to respiratory and other defined emergencies such as high risk deliveries, cardiopulmonary arrest and trauma team activations.
- Maintains artificial airways and provides manual or mechanical ventilation when mechanically ventilated patients are transported from critical care areas to other locations for tests and procedures.
- Serves as a role model for respiratory care students and other members of the health care team who provide clinical procedures related to respiratory care. Functions as the Team Leader during shifts when no member of the management team is physically present on site.
- Associate's degree required in Respiratory Care/Cardiopulmonary Science.
- License required: Respiratory Therapist License, and Registration required: Reg Respiratory Therapist, and Certificate 1 required: Basic Life Support
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Work requires rotation to off-shifts and weekend hours; must be available to work on-call as necessary.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.