Reception Desk Rep - Radiology
Department Description: Schedule - Saturday and Sundays, 7am-7:30pm.
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 45827BR
Job Summary: The Reception Desk Rep interacts extensively in person/ via telephone with patients, the public, healthcare providers, support staff and other Medical Center personnel. As a first point of contact when patients arrive into the department, the position requires excellent customers service skills, broad-judgment, independent thinking and problem solving. Additionally the representative follows workflow and company guidelines, and is responsible for scheduling appointments and updating demographic and correct billing/insurance information.
- Answers, screens, and processes incoming calls in a professional manner. Directs patient access to the department by greeting, scheduling, checking in, and canceling patients appointments for a multiple providers.
- Utilizes and adheres to department and hospital guidelines and accurately updates patient's demographic and insurance data at the time of scheduling and check-in.
- Utilizes and adheres to a phone script, clinical decision trees, and scheduling criteria following department guidelines. Uses independent knowledge within scope of knowledge and training to determine the type of appointment needed and urgency to schedule the patient to the appropriate provider or triage the call.
- Sends out accurate and complete communication e-mails to physicians or to other healthcare providers.
- Take appropriate actions to diffuse challenging situations. Seeks assistance from supervisor and others appropriately when confronted with unpredictable patients situations and or/behaviors.
- High School diploma or GED required. Associate's degree preferred.
- 1-3 years related work experience required in a customer service role. Have demonstrated skills excellence including active listening, problem solving, and the ability to remain calm in emotional or stressful situations..
- Attention to detail, strong verbal communication , customer service and keyboarding skills.
- Medical terminology knowledge.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work both independently and as a part of the team which includes fellow Reception Representatives, technologists, physicians and nurses.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Prior experience working in customer service related roles.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.