Radiation Therapist I
Department Description: The Radiation Oncology department at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) offers the latest therapies and treatments with state-of-the-art equipment and highly trained professionals for the treatment and management of cancer and other health conditions in a patient-centered environment. Our multidisciplinary team consists of board certified physicians, registered nurses, advanced practice nurses, radiation therapists, dosimetrists, physicists, and an array of administrative support staff that are dedicated to providing care in a collaborative team approach. The Radiation Oncology team works closely with colleagues in the Departments of Surgery and Medical Oncology to ensure that all patients receive the very best care.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 31503BR
Job Summary: This position is responsible for delivering radiation therapy treatment as prescribed by the Radiation Oncologist, perform daily maintenance and quality assurance checks on the equipment, and maintain the inventory of departmental supplies.
- Provides patient education in order to maximize patient compliance with his/her plan of care and provide family education when needed. Monitors patient's physical and physiological response to treatment and refer patient for appropriate management when indicated.
- Administers radiation therapy treatment accurately and safely; monitor and report reactions, therapeutic responses and inconsistencies. Assesses patient data pertinent to age-specific needs and provides care as described in the department policy and procedure manual. Positions, immobilizes and aligns patients according to treatment plan and effectively evaluates and solves set-up problems.
- Maintains logs and daily treatment records including accurate documentation of all treatment procedures. Works with Level II Radiation Therapist to resolve clinical problems. Utilizes a quality assurance program to encompass all aspects of treatment delivery and quality patient care.
- Instructs and orients new Radiation Therapists, students and other staff members unfamiliar with department and/or specific procedures. Adapts contingency plans in response to variable which influence work load and/or schedule.
- Attends and participates in scheduled Departmental and Therapist Staff Meeting. Maintains and can provide annual documentation of the required amount of Continuing Education Credits needed for licensure. Participates in meetings, serving on committees or tasks forces, writing and/or presenting scientific papers. Assists in the clinical instruction and evaluation of the Radiation Therapy students.
- Associate's degree required.
- License MA RadTech-RadThrpy required., and Registration American Registry of Rad Tech required., and Certificate 1 Basic Life Support required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Must be a graduate of JCRT accredited institution/program in Radiation Therapy
- IMRT, IGRT experience required.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- MOSAIQ record and verify system experience
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Very Heavy work: Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 50 pounds of force continually. Employee is physically active in all elements of the job.