Rad Tech Assistant
Department Description: Schedule: Mon - Fri 5p-1a - Full Time - 40/Hours
Tech Assistants provide support to the technologist by providing patient assistance, patient transport, and clerical duties. The assignment may include emergency and inpatient areas.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 36259BR
Job Summary: Reporting to a Department Manager, the Radiology Tech Assistant is responsible for assisting technologists in exam rooms and transporting patients to and from the department according to departmental protocols. The Technical Assistant performs a wide variety of technical, clerical and patient care duties that provide assistance for patients, radiologists, technologists and nurses.
- Provides clerical support including: maintaining logs, answering phones, paging staff, printing requests, assigning transport and greeting patients.
- Recognizes and assumes responsibility for reporting patient care or safety concerns to appropriate staff. Monitors patients in the exam rooms or holding areas when needed. Observes patient's condition and reports any sudden change to a technologist, nurse or physician.
- Transports patients to and from the department according to departmental protocols. Notifies technologists of any delays that may affect operational work flow. Assists with patient transfers to and from exam tables and may assist the technologist with positioning the patient for the exam.
- Maintains orderliness and cleanliness of working area, stretchers and wheelchairs. Provides daily/monthly room, supply checks and inventory counts in accordance with the department's inventory procedure.
- Prepares exam rooms for procedures. Sets up equipment according to the department's exam protocol by selecting appropriate modes. Sets up accessory equipment and necessary medical/surgical supplies for examination. Performs miscellaneous duties such as collecting and transporting supplies.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Certificate 1 Basic Life Support preferred.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Previous patient care experience.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to understand spoken English in order to follow basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively in basic English with patients, families and medical center staff in response to routine questions.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Very Heavy work: Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 50 pounds of force continually. Employee is physically active in all elements of the job.