Pulmonary Function Tech - New grads encouraged to apply!
Department Description: A Pulmonary Function Tech (PFT) role is a great opportunity for a candidate who is looking to gain clinical experience in advance of entering a nursing program, physician assistant program, medical school, etc. Pulmonary Function Techs will have direct patient contact, participate in multiple administrative responsibilities while having the opportunity to work within a clinical team environment. While in this role, the PFT will gain the necessary clinical experience required to sit for the CPFT certification, which the incumbent will be required to obtain within twelve months of employment. Becoming a CPFT is an excellent way to gain an advantage in pursuing your healthcare career goals with direct patient care and clinical experience.
This position will be Boston based, however, will require travel to our offsite locations in Chelsea, Chestnut Hill and Lexington. The frequency of the offsite work depends on the needs of each lab.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 39284BR
Job Summary: Performs physiological studies on patients referred to the laboratory for evaluation of their pulmonary (lung) function.
- Takes a relevant patient history as needed. Performs testing to include spirometry, lung volumes, diffusing capacity, plethysmography, arterial puncture, bronchodilator response, methacholine challenge, and assists with Cardio-Pulmonary stress testing. Re-stocks testing areas with supplies as needed.
- Obtains test orders as needed. Copies and mails signed reports. Files finished reports. Prepares clinic schedules and labels for following day.
- Answers phone. Determines appropriate appointment date, time and length. Books appointments in CCC. Updates patient demographic and insurance information in CCC as needed.
- Performs regular quality control of the Pulmonary Function testing equipment including daily calibrations, biological testing, and preventive maintenance.
- Bachelor's degree in Science related field required.
- License Cert Pulmonary Function Tech required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Required to obtain CPFT certification within 12 months of employment
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Experience in healthcare setting with direct patient contact.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus