Public Safety Supervisor
Department Description: Security
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 42804BR
Job Summary: Under the direction of the Police Lieutenants, the Public Safety Supervisor (Police Sergeant) is responsible for leading and supervising a work shift of Public Safety employees, by maintaining responsibility for organizing, training, directing, scheduling and coordination of their assignments, ensuring their work is performed according to departmental policies and in a manner that maintains the highest quality of safety and service to the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center community.
- Ensure operational efficiency through , planning, scheduling and deployment of police and public safety officers to meet the security and safety needs of the medical center, while maintaning good community relations.
- Present feedback and input to public safety leadership to support improvement in key areas including , but not limited to incident and service response, employee development, inter-departmental relations.
- Monitor the performance of employees, providing positive recognition for outstanding effort as well as addressing areas of needed improvement by utilizing coaching, counseling and performance evaluation review sessions.
- Patrol grounds and facilities, respond to calls for service, conduct investigations and delegate non-supervisory functions to others.
- Collaborate with others to implement strategies to reduce safety hazards, eliminate opportunites for theft and deescalate those who are in emotional distress.
- Monitor communication center officers to ensure that they are responsive to electronic security system activations and that customer service needs are met in a proficient and courteous manner.
- Maintain patient confidentiality.
- Has the authority to direct and support employees daily work activities. Has authority to undertake or recommend the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: More than 7 Indirect Reports: 11-20
- High School diploma or GED required. Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice preferred.
- License MA ClassA Lrg capacity firearm required.
- 3-5 years related work experience required and 0-1 years supervisory/management experience required
- Valid Mass. drivers license required. Regularly meet BIDMC firearms qualification and police/BIDMC training standards required. Meet and maintain qualification standards set by State/Federal Govt, necessary for approval to access CJIS terminal points.
- Meet and maintain qualifications standards set by the Mass. State Police and Suffolk County Sheriff Department for appointment as a Special State Police Officer and a Suffolk County Deputy Sheriff required. Includes meeting and maintaining medical/physical and psychological standards suitable for a police officer.
- Pass investigative background check for suitability for this position which meets BIDMC, State and Federal regulatory policies and/or standards.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- 1-3 years supervisory/management experience preferred
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and priorities for functional area. May make recommendations for department policies, practices and programs. Manager or Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to verbally communicate complex concepts in English and address sensitive situations, resolve conflicts, negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement