Project Manager - Research Lab
Department Description: Research-Cardiovascular Medicine
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 28195BR
Job Summary: This position is a combined scientific, administrative, and team management role. The successful candidate will help manage all aspects of a collaboration between BIDMC laboratories and an industry collaborator in a drug development project.
- Provides leadership in developing and implementing projects. Works closely with senior scientists to facilitate the team's work and coordinate or manage the team's initiatives and projects. Manages activities of individual team members.
- Understands science at a high level so that different aspects of the project can be integrated. Has expertise with basic laboratory techniques so that he/she can help with experimental design and trouble-shooting.
- Ensures appropriate project prioritization and requests for resources. Ensures projects are appropriately managed and delivered on time, within budget, to meet the strategic and operational needs of the department.
- Designs communication strategies for project progress. Ensures timely and consistent communication of project priorities, status, timelines, and deliverables to the user community.
- Participates in project team meetings, leading review of action plans and tracking of project milestones. Updates action plans weekly and prompts accountable individuals to insure timely task completion. Supports activities of project teams and maintains accurate documentation of team minutes.
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree preferred.
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- Experience in project management and/or team leadership.
- Excellent communication skills required, both spoken and written.
- The role requires a high degree of dependability, trustworthiness, organization skills, and attention to detail.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- A Masters degree or Ph.D. in a scientific discipline (e.g. genetics, molecular biology, biochemistry, pharmacology, etc.) is strongly preferred.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and determines how to accomplish defined results with some guidelines. Manager/Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to lead collaborative teams for larger projects or groups both internal and external to the Medical Center and across functional areas. Results have implications for the management and operations of multiple areas of the organization.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus