Project Lead/Principle Software Engineer
Department Description: This position reports to the Director of Academic and Research Computing (ARC). ARC supports the research community with custom, web applications supporting pre and post award grant processing, Human Subject Research, IACUC, IBC, Conflict of Interest, space, training, and lab web publishing.
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 39929BR
Job Summary: This position reports to the Director of Academic and Research Computing (ARC). ARC supports the research community with custom, web applications supporting pre and post award grant processing, Human Subject Research, IACUC, IBC, Conflict of Interest, space, training, and lab web publishing.
This position , provides technical, project and application management of the development team within the department. As a member of the senior support staff, provides integrated business support to Research and Academic Affairs and the Research Business. Compiles project specifications from the Project Manager and interacts with the Data Architect to determine the appropriate data design for the revised or new application and produces the technical application development specifications. Manages and supports Academic Computing applications. This job does not have any direct reports.
- Leads a team of developers in support of the administrative aspects of the Research Business. Provide application architecture for specific projects. Develops various application modules. Provides status reporting.
- Guides and mentors programmers in web and .NET development.
- Develops Research Management Applications in support of the $150 million annual research business.
- Works with Application and Data Architect to establish and implement program guidelines for distributed research use of the web and development tools.
- Serves as primary customer representative for all applications. Interacts with primary customers regarding user interface, application design and any proposed changes in work flow due to automation.
- Collaborates with the Project Manager for Academic Computing and Research and Academic Affairs to ensure that technical application development needs for support system can be extracted from the associated project documentation.
- Provides feedback to Project Manager on the list of development milestones and dates, programming resources assigned and upon completion documentation of application developed.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Information Management required.
- 8-10 years related work experience required in Progressively responsible professional experience in computing, software programming and technical project management..
- Must have significant working knowledge or technical training in web application development technology and object oriented programming. Experience in writing workflow and application/technical documentation.
- Must have working experience in project management and personnel management
- Ability to work effectively with others and be a strong team player.
- Advanced technical computer skills as required for technical support specific to functional area and related systems.
- -C#, ASP.NET Web Forms
-DevExpress ASP.NET Web Forms (a plus)
-Visual Studio, SQL Server Management Studio
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and determines how to accomplish defined results with some guidelines. Manager/Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement