Program Manager - Workforce Developmt
Department Description: BIDMC’s Workforce Development and Community Relations team is a department of the Human Resources Division. The team regularly launches “pipeline” programs to train BIDMC employees and others in to hard-to-fill jobs. The team oversees career development opportunities for employees, including free on site college classes, career and academic counseling for all employees and English for Speakers of Other Languages. The team also partners with local community based organizations to assure that people who live near BIDMC are connecting to career opportunities at the medical center. The also team oversees BIDMC’s support of community organizations and programs that are aligned with BIDMC’s mission.
We are seeking a seasoned workforce development person to design and run pipeline programs.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 28192BR
Job Summary: Collaborates with hiring managers to design programs to train current BIDMC employees for specific jobs. Manages implementation of these programs and other programs to help with employee skill building. Coordinates partner organizations and facilitates steering committee meetings, as needed. Oversees program marketing and outreach to hospital employees, as well as contracts with vendors, where applicable. Monitors employee progress and counsels employees, as appropriate. Manages data collection and program budget and reports regularly on program outcomes and employee progress.
- Designs workforce development programs including assessment and selection processes and training curriculum.
- Manages implementation of programs, including development of marketing materials, participant selection, oversight of training including oversight of contracts with vendors, as appropriate. Manages employee moves to new positions.
- Counsels employees and monitors employee progress; intervenes with additional support when necessary and appropriate.
- Continually assesses program performance and enhances program to improve program delivery.
- Communicates regularly with hiring managers and other impacted parties regarding program progress. Troubleshoots as issues arise.
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree preferred.
- 5-8 years related work experience required.
- A proven track record of results in a complex environment where multi-tasking and excellent judgment and decision-making skills are required.
- Extensive program design and implementation experience, preferably in a career development, educational or training environment. Experience providing one-on-one career or educational counseling.
- Some evening and occasional weekend work required.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Experience working with higher educational institutions.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to lead collaborative teams for larger projects or groups both internal and external to the Medical Center and across functional areas. Results have implications for the management and operations of multiple areas of the organization.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally