Program Leader - Social Work
Department Description: The Social Work Team Leader for Hematology and Oncology is a vital member of an interdisciplinary clinical management team. This Leader is responsible for development an oversight of clinical social work's contributions to the highest quality patient care for patients who are receiving treatment for Hematology or Oncology at BIDMC. The Leader is responsible for oversight and supervision of the service's social work staff, programmatic contributions and service enhancement and development. The Leader also ensures Quality Assurance applicable to social work and provides or arranges for supervision of social work staff and trainees. The Leader provides direct clinical service to patients as a member of one of the interdisciplinary teams. Join a vibrant social work department in a large teaching hospital that has a strong commitment to learning and professional development.
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 45303BR
Job Summary: Provides an advanced level of skill in clinical work with specialized knowledge and expertise in a particular specialty. Performs administrative, research, educational and/or supervisory responsibilities. Reports to a Social Work Manager and/or an Administrative Director.
- Provides advanced clinical services and consultation to individuals, families and multidisciplinary providers. Identifies internal and external resources to resolve complex patient/family issues. Provides timely and accurate documentation in patient medical record.
- Provides leadership in clinical program development and management. Articulates the psychosocial needs of assigned population and develops programs accordingly. Assists in the development of social work standards for practice. Assists in program evaluation and continuous quality improvement.
- Organizes orientation process and on-boarding of new employees. Assesses employee learning needs and plans appropriate education/development. Teaches seminars, workshops and continuing education courses for multiple disciplines within the Medical Center and in the community.
- Maintains statistical data as required by hospital and regulatory policy or special departmental needs.
- Has the authority to direct and support employees daily work activities. Has authority to undertake or recommend the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: 4-6 Indirect Reports: None
- Assists in planning, monitoring and/or managing budget in functional area of department.
- Master's degree required in Social Work.
- License required: Lic Indep Clinical Social Work
- 5-8 years related work experience required and 0-1 years supervisory/management experience required
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate complex information in English effectively in writing to all levels of staff, management and external customers across functional areas.
- Oral Communications: Ability to verbally communicate complex concepts in English and address sensitive situations, resolve conflicts, negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate broad and comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex and/or unprecedented situations across multiple functional areas.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to lead operational initiatives to meet or exceed customer service standards and expectations in assigned unit(s) and/or across multiple areas in a timely and respectful manner.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.