Department Description: Perfusion supports the cardiac surgery department as well as vascular, orthopedic, OB and transplant.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 41743BR
Job Summary: Will conduct Cardiopulmonary Bypass (CPB) procedure at a level of competence determined by quality measures set forth in the Department of Perfusion Services Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement Plan. Will set up and operate cardiopulmonary perfusion equipment whenever CPB is indicated. Responsible for management of anticoagulation, proper acid-base balance, overall cardiovascular tone, and administration of fluids (including blood products), during CPB. Will select circuits and techniques appropriate for proper perfusion management, and recognize and respond appropriately to significant changes in perfusion and patient parameters during CPB. Will prepare adequately for CPB by thorough pre-op review and evaluation of the patient's history. May assist in research related to cardiac surgery and CBP, including operation of CPB equipment, physiologic and hemodynamic monitoring, and data collection. Will collect cardiac surgery data by operating autologous blood recovery devices and collecting data relating to the Autologous Blood Recovery Program of the Medical Center. Responsible for administration of intra-aortic balloon pumps in the Operating Room and transport of patients on the intra-aortic balloon pump from the Operating Room to the Intensive Care Unit.
- Sets up and operates cardiopulmonary perfusion equipment whenever CPB is indicated. Responsible for management of anticoagulation, proper acid-base balance, overall cardiovascular tone and administration of fluids, including blood products, during CPB.
- Selects circuits and techniques appropriate for proper perfusion management. Recognizes and responds appropriately to significant changes in perfusion and patient parameters during CPB.
- Prepares adequately for CPB by thorough preoperative review and evaluation of the patient's history. May be required to assist in research related to cardiac surgery and cardiopulmonary bypass. This may include operation of CPB equipment, physiologic and hemodynamic monitoring and data collection.
- Collects cardiac surgery data. Operates autologous blood recovery devices and collects data relating to the Autologous Blood Recovery Program of the Medical Center. Responsible for intra-aortic balloon pumps in the Operating Room and transport of patients on the intra-aortic balloon pump from the Operating Room to the Intensive Care Unit.
- Bachelor's degree in Life Sciences required.
- License Cert ClinPerfusionist preferred.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- MA Perfusionist license or provisional MA license.
- Maintains certification as a Certified Clinical Perfusionist (CCP) by the American Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion. Must obtain CCP certification by the ABCP within 1 year after date of hire, and must maintain ongoing and continuous ABCP certification.
- Demonstrated experience initiating/monitoring extracorporeal membrane oxygenation, ventricular assist device insertion/monitoring, and thoraco-abdominal aneurysm repair with left-heart bypass.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and determines how to accomplish defined results with some guidelines. Manager/Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement