Patient Service Representative
Department Description: A team transforming ambulatory intake and coordination for the BIDMC Digestive Disease Center. BIDMC is an internationally recognized leader in digestive diseases and has chosen this area as a strategic focus for growth. Services span general GI, Liver, General and Colorectal Surgery and Cancer Care. This job will be part of a larger effort to redesign the workflow around successful call centers.
The Patient Service Representative will be supporting our GI Call Center, with responsibilities of answering, screening and processing a high volume of incoming calls to the dedicated call center. The job will offer opportunities to learn about continuous improvement and participate in projects aimed at providing high-quality service in an efficient cost-effective manner.
This role will not be located on the main medical center campus but rather at an offsite location conveniently located on the Northeastern University campus beside the Ruggles train station.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 32013BR
Job Summary: Directs patient access to the practice by answering, screening and processing a high volume of incoming calls in a dedicated call center.
- Answers, screens and processes a high volume of calls in a professional manner. Utilizes and adheres to the phone scripts and guidelines for triaging calls. Asks appropriate questions and uses independent judgment within scope of knowledge and authority to determine the type of appointment, appropriate provider and urgency needed.
- Utilizes centralized scheduling system and software applications to schedule appointments. Verifies and updates patients' demographic information and transfers to registration for update as needed. Obtains necessary referrals for scheduled visit and documents in system. Document appropriate payer information, including worker's compensation and auto liability.
- Informs patient of necessary preparation for scheduled visit, including providing documents, films and notes from other providers, required preparation and protocol for diagnostic tests and procedures.
- Coordinates and interprets multiple data sets required for efficient scheduling of office visits, diagnostic tests and procedures. Coordinates availability of professional services for maximum cost effective utilization of staff, space, equipment and optimal timing for patients and providers. Addresses scheduling problems and concerns with manager to resolve issues.
- Records and forwards accurate messages to providers and staff. Triages calls for urgent information or services to appropriate staff. Responds to requests for information or assistance within scope of knowledge and authority. Resolves and responds to provider email requests in an efficient and professional manner.
- High School diploma or GED required. Associate's degree preferred.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Call Center and/or telephone customer service experience
- Strong typing skills 40+wpm. Knowledge of medical terminology
- Bilingual written and verbal communication skills
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally