Patient Safety Project Manager
Department Description: Patient Safety in the Department of Health Care Quality, designs, develops, and implements patient safety activities to meet the requirements of the BIDMC Patient Care Assessment Program, as well as, the requirements of the MA Department of Public Health, the MA Board of Registration in Medicine, The Joint Commission for the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, CMS Conditions of Participation, and other regulatory requirements.
Maintains current knowledge of BRM, DPH, JCAHO and other regulatory standards and regulations and disseminates information to the appropriate individuals. Identifies accidental injuries and near-miss accidents through review of data received through the BIDMC Safety Reporting System. Facilitates intensive review of significant adverse events. Completes documentation of all such reviews. Analyzes data utilizing informal or formal analytical methodology such as Root Cause Analysis and Failure Mode and Effects Analysis. Recommends specific actions to eliminate or mitigate risk of patient harm.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 37479BR
Job Summary: This position is responsible for facilitating and advancing patient safety and quality improvement programs and activities at the Medical Center. The position will work closely with patient safety and quality leaders, together with clinical staff, as part of a team to manage programs and projects aimed at improving patient safety processes and supporting quality improvement initiatives. To be effective, the incumbent must be able to manage complex projects and respond to changing issues and priorities. Incumbent must also have exceptional interpersonal and leadership skills, experience being an effective team member and team facilitator, and the ability to navigate a complex and fast-paced work environment.
- Partners with patient safety and quality improvement leaders to develop team project plans to guide improvement efforts in patient safety.
- Analyzes, summarizes, and reports on patient safety activity to Clinical Services/Departments on at least a biannual basis. Communicates to the clinical leaders specific patient safety data, as appropriate. Serves as a resource to Patient Safety and Quality Improvement (QI) Directors, medical and nursing staff on matters related to medical and patient safety.
- Manages data extraction and reporting from the Medical Center's computerized safety event reporting system to ensure the timely flow of safety event information to guide corrective action.
- Specific responsibilities for safety event reporting include evaluating for degree of risk, validation and analysis of data, implementation of changes and coding to ensure the accuracy and timeliness of reporting, and preparation of routine and custom reports.
- Supports the work of patient safety and patient relations staff, and serves as key resource with regard to patient safety processes and systems, including the design and implementation of data collection systems, performance of data analysis, process mapping and other quality improvement methods.
- Provides program management support for key Medical Center initiatives in preventable harm from matters of disrespect and workplace violence, Peer Support, and assisting in program management of Communication, Apology and Resolution (CARe) as part of the Medical Center's commitment to CARe.(
- Participates in organizational Committees and Councils as a member or staff.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, IS, Public Health, or Healthcare Management required. Master's degree preferred.
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- At least 3-5 years of patient safety/quality improvement experience in a healthcare setting.
- Experience with process mapping, data analysis, human factors and system-level thinking.
- Excellent skills in client management team building, and motivating large groups.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and determines how to accomplish defined results with some guidelines. Manager/Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
Your Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet.