Department Description: Opportunity to work in a state of the art pathology laboratory in a Harvard University teaching hospital. Prior experience grossing small biopsies is preferred. The Department of Pathology is integrally involved with the diagnosis of cancer and other major medical conditions through the gross and microscopic examination of tissue samples obtained from surgical procedures and endoscopy (Anatomic Pathology). Our department also provides clinical laboratory services to the hospital as well as consult services in the areas of clinical chemistry, hematopathology, microbiology, and transfusion medicine (Clinical Pathology).This is a part time position working 4:00pm - 8:00pm Monday - Friday.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 31292BR
Job Summary: Performs gross and section of small biopsy specimens according to standard operating procedures for the cutting room.
- Process specimens under the supervision of Cutting Room Supervisor and Pathologist includes core biopsies, small biopsies, bone marrows, curettings (endometrial and endocervical) cell blocks and some derm cases. Proper identification and handling is essential through the process to assure patient safety.
- Evaluate and document all QC/QA/QI results and related activities. Adhere to standard Operating Procedures as well as the policies set by the standards of all hospital/laboratory accrediting agencies.
- Assist with tasks related to a post-mortem examination as needed.
- Maintain adequate inventories and reorders and restocks supplies as needed. Notifysupervisor immediately of all critical, unresolved problems. Perform scheduled maintenance, trouble shooting, and required documentation on instruments and equipment as appropriate. Maintain temperature charts on identified equipment.
- Assist Pathologists and Residents with post mortem examinations as needed during the autopsy and cleans and sanitizes according to hospital policies and procedures as scheduled.
- Associate's degree required .
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Meet CLIA requirements for the processing of tissue.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- One year experience in pathology.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus