Orthopedic Lead Medical Assistant
Department Description: Lead Medical Assistant/Ortho Tech at Sports Medicine in Chestnut Hill.
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 43626BR
Job Summary: The Medical Assistant Lead takes a leadership role in the department, acting as a trainer, resource and mentor for other Medical Assistants and staff. Performs a wide variety of medical assisting activities during patient visits in an outpatient clinical setting. Involves extensive interaction with diverse populations including patients, medical staff practitioners and medical center personnel.
At BIDMC, a Medical Assistant in a hospital-based practice is not authorized to perform duties that can be performed only by licensed personnel, which includes, but is not limited to, drawing up medications and/or medication administration or flushing an IV.
- Performs the responsibilities of a Medical Assistant and oversees the work of others. Serves as a role model/mentor, providing support, training and sharing knowledge with other medical assistants and practice assistants in the department.
- Services as a resource in own functional area. Provides guidance and assistance to resolve problems and issues. Acts as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating team setting and identifying areas for improvement.
- Performs a wide variety of activities during patient visits, including but not limited to vital signs, EKGs, phlebotomy and assisting during routine procedures. Takes complete and accurate information from patients, prioritizing and communicating information to clinical staff appropriately.
- Performs appropriate departmental screening, lab tests and specimen collection. Implements quality control standards as required. Provides patients with relevant instructions for specific tests and procedures.
- Schedules follow-up tests and appointments using hospital systems. Contacts patients with reminder appointments.
- Procures and correlates medical correspondences from Health Information Management, providers and administration, as directed by department.
- Tracks, orders and maintains supplies and equipment which may include the monitoring of code cart supplies. Ensures that supplies are within expiration dates. Cleans and disinfects medical equipment used for patient care between each patient use according to guidelines. Disinfects and sterilizes specialized equipment, as required by the practice.
- Assists patients who have physical and psychological limitations with ambulation and patient care functions to ensure their comfort and dignity during the exam. May include transferring a patient from a wheelchair to exam table, undressing and dressing patients and ensuring patient is safe until provider arrives.
- Actively assists and supports licensed practitioners by queuing prescriptions for renewal and performing the initial review of medication listings for accuracy in the electronic medical record (Web OMR).
- Ensures that equipment and supplies necessary to carry out patient care activities are available and usable and the environment is clean, organized, and stocked appropriately.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Medical assisting experience required through any of the following areas: MA, CNA (or LNA), EMT, PCT certificate, Associates Degree in Medical Assisting. Current or former nursing or medical student who has completed at least one clinical rotation. Successful completion of BIDMC in-house competency program in 2019. Successful completion of Basic Clinical Skills course at Northeastern University.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Two or more years experience in a healthcare environment.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement