Department Description: A surgical tech to assist with Mohs surgery in busy Dermatology surgical unit in Boston and Needham. Dedicated to a positive patient experience. Team player.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 41555BR
Job Summary: Supports smooth and efficient practice operations, while contributing to BIDMC's promise of providing extraordinary care. Communicates with patients, other employees and the general public in a courteous, helpful manner by phone and in person. In addition to medical assisting, provides administrative tasks as needed, including but are not limited to greeting, check-in, and scheduling. Assists patients who have physical and psychological limitations with ambulation and patient care functions. Is trained by RN and/or Physician to assist with Excisions and Mohs Surgery and to perform surgical technology services that contribute to the safe, quality and fiscally responsible care of patients and practices with maximal guidance and direction from RN and/or Physician. Reports to Clinical Manager and/or RN with input from assigned Physicians, Nurses or other health care providers.
- Performs medical assisting duties which may include, but are not limited to, vital signs, height and weight, and assisting during excisions and Mohs surgical procedures. Ensures that all patient care areas are clean, organized, stocked and ready for patient use.
- Collaborates with the Mohs Surgical team by preparing the procedure room, gathering and preparing supplies and equipment, preparing and maintaining the sterile field using sterile and aseptic technique, and ensuring that equipment is functioning properly and safely.
- Performs appropriate point of care testing, such as lab tests and specimen collection. Implements quality control standards to ensure proper functioning and accuracy of testing equipment. Provides patients with relevant instructions for specific tests and procedures.
- Under the direction and guidance of the RN and/or Physician, may perform tasks that include cleaning and stocking the procedure room, passing supplies, equipment or instruments, transferring but not administering drugs, handling specimens, and assisting in counting supplies and instruments.
- Monitors, orders and/or maintains medical equipment and supplies, ensuring they are clean, sterilized, stocked and within expiration dates.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Demonstrated MA competencies or equivalent MA experience gained through any of the following: MA Certificate. Associates degree in Medical Assisting. CNA (or LNA), EMT, PCT certificate. Currently enrolled nursing student who has completed at least one clinical rotation. Allied Health and Physician Assistant program candidates. Home Health Aide experience.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement