Department Description: Healthcare Associates (HCA) is a robust Adult primary care practice offering comprehensive health services to enhance the quality of life for our patients.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 35890BR
Job Summary: Supports smooth and efficient practice operations, while contributing to BIDMC's promise of providing extraordinary care. Communicates with patients, other employees and the general public in a courteous, helpful manner by phone and in person. In addition to medical assisting, provides administrative tasks as needed, including but are not limited to greeting, check-in, and scheduling. Assists patients who have physical and psychological limitations with ambulation and patient care functions. Reports to Practice Manager or RN with input from assigned Physicians, Nurses or other health care providers.
- Performs medical assisting duties which may include, but are not limited to, vital signs, height and weight, EKGs, performing phlebotomy and assisting during routine procedures. Ensures that all patient care areas are clean, organized, stocked and ready for patient use. Escorts patients to ancillary service areas such as radiology and lab as needed.
- Performs appropriate point of care testing, such as lab tests and specimen collection. Implements quality control standards to ensure proper functioning and accuracy of testing equipment. Provides patients with relevant instructions for specific tests and procedures.
- Monitors, orders and/or maintains medical equipment and supplies, ensuring they are clean, sterilized, stocked and within expiration dates.
- Performs initial review of medication lists in the electronic medical record for final review by licensed practitioners. May retrieve schedule VI and over the counter medications only, under supervision of licensed providers; is not authorized to perform licensed personnel duties, which include but are not limited to drawing up medications, medication administration or flushing IVs.
- Uses the electronic medical record system (OMR) to queue prescription renewals for review by a licensed provider. As directed by a clinician, enters/scribes orders for tests, services or appointments in OMR. During the visit, accurately documents tasks, as they are completed, in OMR to ensure proper billing (Facility Worksheet).
- Schedules related diagnostic and lab tests making every reasonable effort to accommodate patient and provider needs. Verifies patient insurance, including prior authorizations, referrals, and pre-certifications. Explains processes as needed to help patients meet their needs and insurance requirements.
- Prepares schedules, patient charts and other documents as needed for clinical activities, in accordance with Medical Center standards. Procures and correlates medical correspondence as directed by department.
- Performs check-in utilizing a computer system, according to standard processes. This includes but is not limited to registration and verification of demographic and fiscal information, collecting copayments, collecting/verifying health care proxy and providing patients with visit questionnaires s.
- Use computer system to record whether appointment was cancelled or patient did not keep the appointment (visit disposition).
- Monitors patients and visitors entering, waiting, and leaving the practice. Facilitates timely flow and informs patients and providers of delays in a timely manner. Acts as liaison between patient and practice staff to ensure optimal flow and service delivery. Ensures waiting room materials are organized and stocked as directed by the department. May answer and screen telephone calls.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Medical assisting experience required through any of the following areas: MA, CNA (or LNA), EMT, PCT certificate, Associates Degree in Medical Assisting. Current or former nursing or medical student who has completed at least one clinical rotation. Successful completion of BIDMC in-house competency program in 2019.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Phlebotomy Certificate preferred.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
Your Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet.