Medical Assistant - Specialty Service
Department Description: The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology provides complete Obstetric and Gynecology services. As the official hospital of the Boston Red Sox, we are welcoming the tiniest members of Red Sox nation into the world.
The department includes eight divisions in all specialty areas. Office locations include Boston, Brookline, Chelsea, Chestnut Hill, Lexington, Milton, Needham, Plymouth, and Roxbury.
We are looking for a strong candidate with a positive attitude that can multitask and work in a fast paced department. High level communicating skills are essential.
This position is located on our main Boston campus, working Monday- Friday, 40 hours per week position.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 30272BR
Job Summary: Performs a wide variety of medical assisting activities and assists providers with special procedures during patient visits in an office-based clinical setting. At BIDMC, a Medical Assistant in a hospital-based practice is not authorized to perform duties that can be performed only by licensed personnel, which includes but is not limited to, drawing up medications and/or medication administration or flushing an IV.
- Performs a wide variety of activities during patient visits. Sets up and assists providers and monitors patients during and following routine and special procedures. Performs phlebotomy, vital signs, height and weight, suture removal and dressing changes as needed.
- Cleans, disinfects and inspects medical equipment and instruments used for patient care between each patient use according to guidelines required by the unit. Prepares equipment to be sent out of unit for sterilization. Inspects equipment on a routine basis for damage or repairs.
- Performs appropriate departmental screening, lab tests and specimen collection. Implements quality control standards as required. Provide patients with relevant instructions for specific tests and procedures.
- Schedules follow-up tests and appointments using hospital systems. Contacts patients with reminder appointments.
- Actively assists and supports licensed practitioners by queuing prescriptions for renewal and performing the initial review of medication listings for accuracy in the electronic medical record (Web OMR).
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Demonstrated MA competencies or equivalent MA experience gained through any of the following: MA Certificate. Associates degree in Medical Assisting. CNA (or LNA), EMT, PCT certificate. Currently enrolled nursing student who has completed at least one clinical rotation. Allied Health and Physician Assistant program candidates. Home Health Aide.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.