Media Relations Manager
Department Description: These roles are providing support on the Media Relations team.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 35903BR
Job Summary: Reporting to the Director of Media Relations, the Media Relations Manager plays in integral role in building and advancing BILH's reputation as an organization committed to the communities it serves, as well as leadership in clinical care, research and education. Through effective engagement with the news media, the Media Relations Manager is responsible for securing positive coverage for BILH. This individual will also be strategic in its handling of reactive inquiries from the press.
Represents assigned hospitals and/or business units and serves as the primary point of contact for the news media on behalf of these entities. Builds positive relationships with hospital and/or business leaders, clinicians and staff in order to informed about and engaged in local initiatives, innovations and discoveries that may be of interest to the press.
Ensures assigned hospital and/or business unit media relations efforts are closely aligned with media relations efforts across the system, as well as local and system-level internal communications, marketing, web and social media activities. He/she/they must also be comfortable educating and engaging with senior leaders, physicians and employees across the organization on issues related to media relations policies and strategies.
- Developing and implementing media relations strategies designed to further strengthen the reputation of assigned hospitals and/or business units.
- Collaborating with assigned hospital and/or business unit leadership and others to identify opportunities for media engagement. Aligning and prioritizing media relations strategy and tactics in the context of the mission and business strategy of the system and assigned hospitals and/or business units.
- Continuously evaluating effectiveness of those media relations strategies and adapt accordingly.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with local, regional and national media outlets. Proactively pitching stories to favorably position assigned hospitals and/or business units, and establish BILH organizations as a go-to resource for expert commentary.
- Writing press releases, media advisories, opinion pieces and letters to the editor on behalf of assigned hospitals and/or business units.
- In close collaboration and alignment with the Director of Media Relations and others, managing crises or adverse events to minimize any negative reputational impact on assigned hospitals and/or business units.
- Contributing in a positive and collaborative manner to a client-centric operating model that provides proactive and responsive service and support to hospital and/or business unit leaders.
- Working collaboratively with colleagues in Media Relations; Internal Communications; Clinical Marketing; Branding and Consumer Engagement; and Marketing Intelligence & Personalization to ensure alignment and consistency across internal and external communications and marketing channels.
- Staying up-to-date on national trends and best practices in media relations and health care communications, as well as competitive news and trends.
- Has the authority to direct and support employees daily work activities. Has authority to undertake or recommend the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: None Indirect Reports: None
- Bachelor's degree required.
- 3-5 years related work experience required in Media Relations and 0-1 years supervisory/management experience required
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Healthcare Experience.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and priorities for functional area. May make recommendations for department policies, practices and programs. Manager or Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally