Material Handler II
Department Description: The Materials Department is responsible for handling the hospital inventories, 24/7 support for adhoc supply requests throughout the hospital both onsite and offsite departments. Materials delivers, restocks and maintains the inventory of all Code Carts. In addition to Supply management Materials also manages the cleaning and par stocking of medical equipment devices throughout the inpatient and out patient departments.
Hours: 9:00pm - 7:00am Saturday and Sundays; Holidays required.
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 41661BR
Job Summary: Inventories, delivers, and replenishes medical/surgical supplies to various clinical areas throughout the medical center. Acts as the front line liaison to the clinical departments and handle all supply related tasks for the area including assessing supply needs on over 300 line items, inventorying supplies regularly and providing replenishment of supplies.
- Uses a handheld inventory module to assess supply needs on approximately 300 items in up to 8 different clinical areas. Becomes familiar with each supply item including nomenclature, unit of measure, and product family and is able to communicate effectively with clinical staff.
- Replenishes all supply items daily and provides feedback on any stock shortages. Communicates usage trends, shortages, picking errors and damaged items to supervision and the clinical areas.
- Assures that all necessary information pertaining to inventory issuance and returns is accurately entered into the MMIS. Calculate unit of measure conversion rates.
- Contacts customers on a daily basis to monitor any service concerns individual departments may be experiencing as it relates to materials management. Conducts analysis to eliminate continuing issues.
- Maintains a neat, orderly work environment in each of the clinical areas serviced, including rotation of stock, validation of expiration dates, disposable of any refuse, adherence to storage requirements, and neatening of existing stock.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement