Manager, Patient Financial Services
Department Description: Position is located at 1135 Tremont St.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 34809BR
Job Summary: Responsible for the oversight and administration of the BIDMC Patient Financial Services staff who support all the billing activities for payers and patients.
- Manages Patient Financial Services, establishes unit priorities and sets deadlines. Rearranges and allocates staffing resources to meet goals.
- Reviews unit workload and recommends appropriate actions to achieve most efficient procedures and best possible outcomes. Supervises third party payer activities. Monitors receivable results, makes suggestions and necessary changes to improve operational levels of performance.
- Evaluates all problems that impede the orderly and timely resolution of accounts. Interacts with departments, agencies or individuals to resolve such problems. Identifies, recommends and implements solutions.
- Manages day to day unit operations including establishing, monitoring, and enforcing standards (quality, production, communications) and schedules. Addresses performance issues with improvement action plans.
- Articulates the objectives and urgency of special projects, assigns staff and monitors progress to ensure that the work is completed accurately, efficiently and within deadlines.
- Leads with a `Get it done right the first time' approach and creates a work environment that fosters improvement from within.
- Assists senior management and acts as technical resource to staff.
- Has the authority to direct and support employees daily work activities. Has the direct responsibility to undertake the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: More than 7 Indirect Reports: None
- Has full responsibility for planning, monitoring and managing department budget.
- High School diploma or GED required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- 3-5 years related work experience required and 1-3 years supervisory/management experience required
- Extensive knowledge of Third Party payer billing practices.
- Experience in determining root cause to identify operational improvements.
- Prior experience in institutional billing.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Prior supervisory experience in a healthcare/operational/production environment.
- Experience with reviewing large amounts of data to identify trends and improvements.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set direction and vision for major departments or multiple departments. Establishes priorities, develops policies and allocates resources.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to verbally communicate complex concepts in English and address sensitive situations, resolve conflicts, negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to lead operational initiatives to meet or exceed customer service standards and expectations in assigned unit(s) and/or across multiple areas in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally