Manager of IT Development - Anesthesia Department
Department Description: The Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine provides leading-edge anesthesia services in operating rooms, intensive care units, labor and delivery, and non-operating room procedural areas (including gastrointestinal endoscopy, and electrophysiology). Our Physicians and CRNAs work in academic and community Hospitals and other specialized locations.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 36842BR
Job Summary: The Manager of IT Development for the Department of Anesthesia manages processes, tasks, and projects related to the design, development, and implementation of web-based applications and data visualization/reporting tools. This position is responsible for establishing project scope, gathering requirements, and managing projects from start to finish. Must be able to effectively work with a diverse talent group and direct multiple projects simultaneously.
- Provides leadership in developing and implementing projects. Works closely with senior administrators to facilitate the team's work and coordinate or manage its initiatives and projects.
- Leads project team meetings, including a review of action plans and tracking of project milestones. Updates action plans weekly and prompts accountable individuals to ensure timely task completion. Supports activities of project teams and maintains accurate documentation of team minutes.
- Manages teams with contributions from functional/customer staff, technical support groups, and informatics professionals toward the goal of delivering and supporting systems in a timely, cost-effective and responsive manner.
- Manages the development, customization, implementation, and maintenance of the department's web-based and data reporting solutions. Works closely with the Director of QSII to facilitate the team's work and coordinate its initiatives and projects.
- Mentors and supervises IT Development team; Assists with the process of breaking down complex systems into smaller components and manages a team of software engineers and data analysts as they design and develop these components.
- Knows and understands established IS policies and procedures and effectively translates operational plans into methods and processes to be used in the delivery of services, technology planning, and support to customers and employees.
- Leverages understanding of software architectures, lifecycle methodologies, and information system development as a means to participate in all phases of complex functional and technical analysis; provides deliverables such as functional specifications, diagrams, workflows, and timelines specific to technology solutions/applications.
- Has the authority to direct and support employees daily work activities. Has the direct responsibility to undertake the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: 2-3 Indirect Reports: None
- Bachelor's degree in Info Systems, Computer Science, Informatics, Software Engineering, related field required. Master's degree preferred.
- 3-5 years related work experience required in project management with demonstrated ability to manage project milestones and deliverables and 1-3 years supervisory/management experience required
- Strong technical skills with experience in application development using .NET, MVC, and/or React or comparable.
- Strong data skills with experience working with relational databases and data modeling tools like Power BI.
- Must have excellent skills in team building, motivating large groups of staff, and interpersonal communication. Experience in meeting facilitation and the ability to lead projects and group discussions.
- Advanced technical computer skills as required for technical support specific to functional area and related systems.
- Knowledge of hospital operations and clinical workflows.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions with significant, broad implications for the management and operations of a major department or multiple departments. Participates in decisions on overall strategy and direction of the organization.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and priorities for functional area. May make recommendations for department policies, practices and programs. Manager or Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to lead collaborative teams for larger projects or groups both internal and external to the Medical Center and across functional areas. Results have implications for the management and operations of multiple areas of the organization.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally