Maintenance Mechanic - Welder
Department Description: Maintenance Operations inspires a dedicated team of professionals whose goal is to provide a well maintained, safe and appealing facility and environment while meeting regulatory requirements. Our main objective is to resolve problems and provide timely response to meet our customers’ needs. We focus on providing a high level of customer service in order to meet the needs of our patients, visitors and staff and the community while gaining their respect by providing prompt and efficient response to their maintenance requests. We continually evaluate our activities and focus our attention on achieving top performance in all areas of our responsibility.
Maintenance employees are required to respond to emergencies such as floods, power outages, etc during off shift hours if asked to do so by department supervisors. Snow removal is also the responsibility of the Maintenance Operations Department and all Maintenance employees are required to participate in the snow removal process.
Shift for this position is Monday – Fridays, 6:55am – 3:25pm
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 44182BR
Job Summary: Performs repairs that require welding and metal fabrication. Performs general maintenance, repair of building mechanical systems and equipment common to a healthcare facility. Carries out scheduled maintenance tasks and repairs as part of a coordinated PM program.
- Performs repairs to equipment that requires welding, grinding and metal fabrication.
- Provides first response to equipment and system issues that are the responsibility of the mechanical section including; plumbing, bulb replacement, leak response.
- Provides first response to electrical and HVAC system issues while working on an off shift.
- Performs repairs and preventive maintenance on mechanical equipment common to healthcare facility maintenance.
- Performs record keeping requirements and written reports as part of a daily routine.
- Required to respond to emergencies such as floods, power outages, etc. during off hours if asked to do so by the department supervisors. Snow removal is also the responsibility of the maintenance department and all maintenance employees are required to participate in the snow removal process.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 3-5 years related work experience required in general building maintenance.
- 3-5 years of welding experience in a variety of welding procedures (arc, MIG,TIG) required.
- Complete knowledge of relative safety standards required.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Basic plumbing knowledge and experience preferred.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.