Department Description: Maintenance Operations inspires a dedicated team of professionals whose goal is to provide a well maintained, safe and appealing facility and environment while meeting regulatory requirements. Our main objective is to resolve problems and provide timely response to meet our customers’ needs. We focus on providing a high level of customer service in order to meet the needs of our patients, visitors and staff and the community while gaining their respect by providing prompt and efficient response to their maintenance requests. We continually evaluate our activities and focus our attention on achieving top performance in all areas of our responsibility.
Maintenance employees are required to respond to emergencies such as floods, power outages, etc during off shift hours if asked to do so by department supervisors. Snow removal is also the responsibility of the Maintenance Operations Department and all Maintenance employees are required to participate in the snow removal process.
Shift for this position is Monday - Friday 6:55am - 3:25pm
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 43180BR
Job Summary: This position (plumber) reports to the Mechanical Section Supervisor. The Plumber must read from blueprints, drawings and specifications in order to determine the layout of plumbing systems, water supply networks and waste/drainage systems. The Plumber will
plan, install, repair, maintain and service plumbing systems, fixtures, piping equipment and controls within the institution. These
piping systems may be used to transport water, waste, gases or hot liquids. The Plumber will work in cooperation with other trades to ensure that all specifications and policies are met, and to ensure efficient completion of any project. Providing adequate services will ensure that all water supply networks and waste and drainage systems are installed, repaired and maintained to meet all standards of building codes and safety.
- Install, repair and maintain fire sprinkler systems, plumbing, medical gas and steam systems and components.
Review plans and specifications to determine the layout for plumbing and
related materials. Identify required tools and special equipment. Select the type and size of pipe required.
Locate and mark positions for connections and fixtures. Install supports and hangers for pipe, fixtures
- Maintain and repair all steam water , plumbing special waste and medical gas piping systems and associated equipment.
- General understanding of piping distribution systems and isolation processes of high rise buildings.
- Maintenance employees are required to respond to emergencies such as floods, power outages, etc. during off shift hours if asked to do so by the department supervisors. Snow removal is also the responsibility of the Maintenance Department and all Maintenance employees are required to participate in the snow removal process.
- High School diploma or GED required. Vocational or Technical training preferred.
- License JOUR-Plumbing required., or Registration Apprentice Plumber required.
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- Must have proficient knowledge in water distribution and waste water disposal systems.
- Must have solid knowledge of building code requirements and experienced in Industrial and Institutional setting.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Solid problem solving skills
- Grade 2 Industrial Wastewater Operators License (required after one year of employment).
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to understand spoken English in order to follow basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively in basic English with patients, families and medical center staff in response to routine questions.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.