Lead Radiation Therapist III
Department Description: The Radiation Oncology department at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) offers the latest therapies and treatments with state-of-the-art equipment and highly trained professionals for the treatment and management of cancer and other health conditions in a patient-centered environment. Our multidisciplinary team consists of board certified physicians, registered nurses, advanced practice nurses, radiation therapists, dosimetrists, physicists, and an array of administrative support staff that are dedicated to providing care in a collaborative team approach. The Radiation Oncology team works closely with colleagues in the Departments of Surgery and Medical Oncology to ensure that all patients receive the very best care.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 31045BR
Job Summary: The Lead Radiation Therapist is responsible for facilitating the daily operations of the clinical treatment section of the radiation therapy division at the BIDMC. Carries out identified management duties, ability to resolve clinical issues and ensures quality patient care. Work requires independent thinking, strong technical skills, ability to problem solve and leadership ability to direct the Therapist Team in a safe effective manner, while ensuring efficiency in the daily operations. Collaborates with other team leaders to identify areas for improvement
and participate in special projects as requested
- Provides patient education in order to maximize patient compliance with his/her plan of care and provide family education when needed. Responsible for efficient operation of the assigned clinical treatment area of department, including scheduling of treatment machines, break coverage and any special procedures.
- Serves as a resource to departmental personnel to resolve clinical issues through out clinical area; division and/or patient related. Coordinates daily activities and schedules of the Therapists to ensure quality treatment delivery and maximum utilization of equipment and personnel. Instructs new staff members in quality assurance, treatment protocols and improvement policies and practices.
- Works with the Radiation Therapy Manager and Chief of Physics to develop new techniques/policy and procedures or resolve clinical issues. Works with Physician and Therapist staff to triage emergent cases and negotiate scheduling of patients. Manages Treatment Teams during equipment failures and facilities machine down procedure in a professional and safe manner.
- Documents treatment delivery information and records treatment variances using the appropriate incident reporting tool. Teaches staff how to use incident reporting tool correctly. Orients new departmental personnel and visitors unfamiliar with the department and/or specific procedures.
- Participates in specialty areas such as, but not limited to, Clinical Instruction of Radiation Therapy Technology Students, EBRT, and Stereotactic Radiosurgery. Participates in Departmental and Therapist Staff Meetings and demonstrates ability to lead and support meetings when called upon by Therapist Manger.
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree preferred.
- License required: Radiology MA License,Registration required: American Board of Rad Tech.,Certificate 1 required: Basic Life Support
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- Must be a graduate of JCRT accredited institution/program in Radiation Therapy.
- IMRT, IGRT experience required
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- MOSAIQ record and verify system, Cyberknife SRS, and CT Simulation experience preferred.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Very Heavy work: Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 50 pounds of force continually. Employee is physically active in all elements of the job.