Interventional Procedures Technician
Department Description: Seeking an Interventional Procedures Technician to support a High volume GI department. The applicant must be able to work collaboratively in teams within the scope cleaning rooms and within the unit in assisting with turn over of procedure rooms as needed.
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 42883BR
Job Summary: Provides support to attending physicians and other team members by performing direct and indirect tasks which contribute to quality care for patients undergoing complex procedures. Prepares for general and advanced GI and/or other interventional procedures and provides technical support for physicians during the procedures. Works closely with physicians, nurses and other health care team members to assess and manage patients during procedures. Serves as a technical resource. Orders and maintains all equipment needed for procedures.
- Prepares procedural suites for general and advanced GI and/or other interventional procedures. Contributes to cleanliness and order of the unit including returning kits and supplies to proper areas within the unit. Facilitates efficient turnover time by prioritizing activities related to equipment and instrumentation needed for cases to follow in assigned room.
- Processes pathology specimens according to established protocols.
- Performs preventive maintenance and decontamination of endoscopes and other diagnostic equipment in compliance with established protocols.
- Ensures all needed equipment and supplies are available for all procedures in a timely manner.
- Provides direct care to patients in admitting and in recovery as directed by the resource nurse, including providing nourishment, assisting with toileting, discontinuing of IVs and checking vital signs. Maintains open and effective communication with patients and the GI Unit team.
All duties falling under Medical Assistant per certificate.
- High School diploma or GED required. Associate's degree preferred in Biological/medical field
- Certificate 1 preferred: Medical Assistant Certificate
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Technical and analytical abilities necessary to operate technical and electronic equipment and perform tests with a high degree of accuracy.
- Able to anticipate the equipment needs of the operator during an interventional procedure to meet time and quality standards. Strong organizational and interpersonal skills. Ability to work with critically ill patients in emergency situations under high levels of stress.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Minimum of one year of specialized training in Interventional Pulmonary procedures preferred or two years in other interventional procedures.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement