Department Description: Opportunity to work in a state of the art histology laboratory in a Harvard University teaching hospital. Experience and ability to demonstrate all technical aspects of general histology including sectioning all types of tissue including 2 and 3 micron biopsies.
The Department of Pathology is integrally involved with the diagnosis of cancer and other major medical conditions through the gross and microscopic examination of tissue samples obtained from surgical procedures and endoscopy (Anatomic Pathology). Our department also provides clinical laboratory services to the hospital as well as consult services in the areas of clinical chemistry, hematopathology, microbiology, and transfusion medicine (Clinical Pathology).
Per diem position, primarily to cover Saturday 7am - 3:30pm, but also other vacant shifts as needed.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 30480BR
Job Summary: Processes patient surgical pathology specimens to paraffin, embeds tissue in paraffin, performs paraffin blocks using microtomes, stains prepared tissue, coverslips slides and assesses stains and sections microscopically for quality. Prepares and maintains slides, solutions, and hazardous chemicals for recycling. Maintains equipment for proper functioning and quality control and supplies for efficiency. Maintains quality control and proper technique while performing various special staining on slides, as required. Maintains patient identification at all times according to lab practice.
- Processes and embeds tissue in paraffin and cuts paraffin blocks using microtomes at correct setting determined for individual tissue types.
- Follows Standard Operating Procedures, prepares stains and solutions, stains prepared tissue (including frozen slides and cytology Ctyospin preparations) by using routine, special and immunohistochemical staining processes. Coverslips and evaluates miscroscopically the quality of stains and sections.
- Maintains equipment for proper functioning and supply inventories. Maintains supplies and ensures clean work environment according to hospital's standard and approved protocols.
- Participates in inter-shift coverage for time off, emergencies and holidays.
- Prepares slides and blocks maintaining patient identification according to lab practices.
- Associate's degree required.
- License ASCP Registered preferred., and Registration Histotech Certification preferred., and Successful completion of Histotechnology program preferred.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Strong background performing special staining.
- Strong computer skills.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- HT (ASCP) or HTL certification or eligibility.
- Successful completion of NCCLS approved histotechnology program.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally