Department Description: Seeking a per diem Histo/Surg Tech to support the Dermatology Surgery Unit.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 28459BR
Job Summary: Provides assistance to patients during their visits to the surgical area and ensures quality and efficient delivery of patient care.
Incumbent must be. Processes patient surgical pathology specimens to paraffin, embeds tissue in paraffin, performs paraffin blocs using microtomes, stains prepared tissue, coverslips slides, and assesses stains and sections microscopically for quality. Prepares and maintains stains, solutions, and hazardous chemicals for recycling. Maintains equipment for proper functioning and quality control, and supplies for sufficiency. Maintains filing process for all pathology slides ensuring accurate retrieval.
- Greets and escorts patients to rooms. Maintains patient comfort and safe environment for patients and staff. Offers suggestions and/or engages in activities to enhance quantity and quality of care given to patients.
- Sets up and breaks down surgical trays. Provides assistance to surgical specialist during procedures and repairs by replenishing surgical trays, retrieving additional equipment and supplies and adjusting lighting.
- Cleans and sterilizes equipment. Implements proper care and maintenance of surgical equipment. Identifies defective equipment and reports need for repair.
- Orders and stocks rooms with appropriate levels of supplies through purchasing and the Pyxis system. Maintains linen inventory. Stores supplies upon delivery.
- Downloads and prints all digital pictures.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- License ASCP Registered preferred.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Ability to work well independently as a strong contributing member to a cohesive surgical team. Strong leadership, time management, problem solving and decision making skills with the ability to set priorities and organize facilities to maximize results. Quantitative and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to stand for long hours, stoop, life and assist patients.
- Must have completed approved surgical technician training program one year beyond high school or have equivalent on the job training. Knowledge of fundamental operation of surgical exam tables, lights, electrosurgical units, sterilizers and other related surgical equipment.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- One year of experience in histology lab training.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus