Grill Server - Food Service/Sign on Bonus Eligible
Department Description: This position is eligible for a $500.00 sign on bonus.
• Sign on bonuses are paid out in two payments. You will receive your first payment (half of the total amount) within the first 30 days of employment and is subject to applicable taxes. You will receive the second payment (remaining balance) at six (6) months following your start date and is subject to applicable taxes.
• Full time status at BIDMC is considered for schedules greater than or equal to 30 hours per week; part time status is 20 to 29 hours per week. Please note, per diem employees are not eligible for sign on bonuses.
• Current and Former BILH candidates - restrictions apply. BIDMC Internal employees or employees within the BILH system are not eligible for the bonus or if you have been employed by a BILH entity within the last 12 months.
• Please note, sign on bonuses are subject to change based on the organization’s hiring needs and will be determined by Talent Acquisition on an ongoing basis. BILH/BIDMC Talent Acquisition reserves the right to change sign on bonus eligible jobs and amounts at any time.
The Food Services Department is a dynamic place to work where our top priority is serving high quality, delicious food with caring service. We take pride in feeding our patients, visitors and hospital staff members every day while exhibiting our CARES culture of Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Enthusiasm and Service. We strive to reach high levels of satisfaction and measure this through Press Ganey and retail satisfaction surveys. The department works to continuously improve in all areas of our operation and our frontline team members regularly provide solutions to help us succeed. Ensuring food safety and a safe work environment are a central focus for our team and everyone plays a role in achieving positive results.
The position hours within the department vary but operations begin at 5:30 am and end at 9:00 pm 365 days per year. Weekends and holidays are rotated between all staff and everyone is an essential employee expected to arrive for their shifts during emergency essential situations including inclement weather.
Schedule: Week one: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday 1-9:30PM. Week Two: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 1-9:30PM Week Two
This position requires rotating weekend and holiday availability
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 41593BR
Job Summary: Performs short order/grill cooking duties by preparing food items to be served to customers. Responsible for performing a wide range of tasks, including preparation, set up, storage, sanitation of work areas and equipment. Follows department standards and policies, established by the production planning system and recording systems as assigned.
- Cuts, slices, dices, measures, mix, etc. all types of food products according to standard recipes. Assembles these food products into a useable meal. Places hot foods on steam table following HACCP guidelines, checks display pans according to the department's standards of quality.
- Prepares Breakfast grill orders. Prepares food for lunch and obtains ingredients for grill special, food prep, pick-up frozen items from kitchen. Uses accompaniments l-i.e. lettuce leaves, diced or sliced tomatoes, cheeses, toppings and other small food prep tasks. Cooks lunch food to order. Prepares Dinner menu orders: follows cook to order PM menu with fresh entrée offerings.
- Operates all types of food service equipment (turbo chef, induction burners, mixers, slicers, vertical cutters, ovens, grills, steamers, fryers, food processors, etc.) safely, including the safe cleaning, sanitizing and storage of that equipment.
- Maintains and sanitizes work surfaces and equipment under counters, breakfast cart, and service counter after each meal period. Prevents cross contamination of food products. Ensures the proper storage, identification, and temperature of all food products. Maintains the quality and appearance of food items at all times.
- Tastes products, reads menus, estimates food requirements, checks production, and keeps daily records to plan production requirements, requisition supplies, and equipment needs. Complies with all HACCP policies and procedures in accordance to manual and understands and complies with procedures to prevent cross contamination with regards to allergens and diet restrictions.
- Some High School required.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Knowledge of short order/grill procedures.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- One to three years food production experience in high-volume food service establishment.
- Serve Safe certification.
- Allergen Certified or Awareness and/or Alcohol/TIPS Certification.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to understand spoken English in order to follow basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively in basic English with patients, families and medical center staff in response to routine questions.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.