Friendshop Sales Associate - Student
Department Description: The Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center operates two gift shops that carry a wide variety of gift items:
Boutique-style clothing for women
Unique gift items
The shops also offer greeting cards, magazines, books, candy and toiletries. Proceeds help support patient care at the medical center.
Located in the lobby of the Farr Building
Open Monday - Thursday, 9:30 a.m. - 7 p.m.; Friday, 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.; weekends, 11 a.m. - 4 p.m
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 33247BR
Job Summary: Assists customers and operates cash register in retail environment.
- Operates cash register.
- Assists customers with excellent customer service.
- Maintains cleanliness and organization of shop.
- Receives, prices and stocks merchandise.
- Opens and closes shop according to established routines.
- Currently enrolled in High School Program required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Currently enrolled in an academic program (High School through Graduate School).
- Must be able to operate a cash register and calculator.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.