Food Service Work -Trayline and Sanitation
Department Description: This position is eligible for a $250.00 sign on bonus.
• Sign on bonuses are paid out in two payments. You will receive your first payment (half of the total amount) within the first 30 days of employment and is subject to applicable taxes. You will receive the second payment (remaining balance) at six (6) months following your start date and is subject to applicable taxes.
• Full time status at BIDMC is considered for schedules greater than or equal to 30 hours per week; part time status is 20 to 29 hours per week. Please note, per diem employees are not eligible for sign on bonuses.
• Current and Former BILH candidates - restrictions apply. BIDMC Internal employees or employees within the BILH system are not eligible for the bonus or if you have been employed by a BILH entity within the last 12 months.
• Please note, sign on bonuses are subject to change based on the organization’s hiring needs and will be determined by Talent Acquisition on an ongoing basis. BILH/BIDMC Talent Acquisition reserves the right to change sign on bonus eligible jobs and amounts at any time.
The Food Services Department is a dynamic place to work where our top priority is serving high quality, delicious food with caring service. We take pride in feeding our patients, visitors and hospital staff members every day while exhibiting our CARES culture of Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Enthusiasm and Service. We strive to reach high levels of satisfaction and measure this through Press Ganey and retail satisfaction surveys. The department works to continuously improve in all areas of our operation and our frontline team members regularly provide solutions to help us succeed. Ensuring food safety and a safe work environment are a central focus for our team and everyone plays a role in achieving positive results.
The position hours within the department vary but operations begin at 5:30 am and end at 9:00 pm 365 days per year. Weekends and holidays are rotated between all staff and everyone is an essential employee expected to arrive for their shifts during emergency essential situations including inclement weather.
This position requires rotating weekend and holiday availability.
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 46730BR
Job Summary: Performs a wide range of tasks, including partial preparation/set up of food trays for patients and all cleaning related to food services.
- Washes and restocks patient, cafeteria and catering dishes, pots and pans. Cleans and sanitizes tabletops and counters. Sweeps and mops floors. Empties trash, retrieves soiled tray carts from nursing units. Maintains proper levels of supplies/stock for assembly of trays.
- Assembles patient meals as ordered through the At Your Request Room Service Dining system. Uses proper portion for entrées, salads, desserts, and beverages for meal service. Prepares food items to par levels in advance of peak meal periods (fruit cups, tossed salads, desserts, beverages). Follows procedures for preparing special trays (Kosher, Low Bacteria, Isolation, Psychiatry, Gastric By-pass).
- Prepares floor stock sheets according to established par levels and bring to kitchen. Maintains cleanliness of the nursing kitchens and kitchen equipment.
- Arranges designated work area/serving station with proper utensils, plates, etc. Potentially serves food in the cafeteria, following established serving guidelines. Keeps supervisor informed of menu item supply levels in a timely fashion to avoid runouts and tray set up delays. Potentially delivers patient trays to the Room Service Associates or nursing desks on the floors as necessary.
- Some High School required, High School diploma or GED preferred
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Will consider applicants with some high school experience.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Awareness of food safety principles.
- Food service experience in a high-volume food service establishment.
- Basic cleaning and sanitation practice knowledge and work history.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to understand spoken English in order to follow basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively in basic English with patients, families and medical center staff in response to routine questions.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.